28 Acres...no clue where to start!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HPI_Savage25, Oct 18, 2012.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

High dollar equipment requires high dollar work. If I rent too much this year as we are evaluating currently, I will by the unit next time around. If I can find used on auction I will do that route or else go new. Sure that 21 made the profit margin look good but you limited yourself to expansion, to growth, to being more, doing more. But if you you like your 21 and are content, great for you!

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

That's a bunch of bs all around. Ask anyone who has a diesel how much in maintenance cost they have into their engine, 90+ percent will say 0 besides oil. In 800 hrs on my kubota its about $60 in oil, that's it. Total maintenance cost in 800 hrs is about $500 and $2800 in fuel. If it was gas it would be $160 in oil so $600 in maintenance if you had no issues with the engine and $6100 in fuel. That's a saving of about $3000 a year to run diesel. Plus this machine could last you 10 years so that's a saving of $30,000 over 10 years and you would buy another machine in that time so a total savings of $40,000 in 10 years. Don't get me started on the push mower idea.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Our diesels have had nothing done other than regular maintenance. Our oldest Walker has over 1800 hours and our Deere's are around the 1700 mark. I figured over the life of a mower the fuel savings alone would pay for that mowers replacement. This is the reason the only gas equipment we run requires two stroke oil.

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

The only 2 stoke I have now is my chain saw.

5. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

We tried 4 stroke trimmers and decided it wasn't for us. Nice unit it just wasn't practical for how we use them.

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

true 4 stoke or the hybrid?

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

True 4 stroke, we have a Stihl KM but I still consider that a 2 stroke.

8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

In your sig you mention at the end "lots of Excedrin". Is that because of the diesel fumes or from owning a business? :D

9. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with your logic, but not necessarily the numbers, which reflect fuel usage as over 2 gph on with a gas engine. Most gas ZTR's do much better than that. I owned a diesel for a couple of seasons, and the total savings over my identical mowers with gas engines worked out to around $1 per hour. I'm not knocking diesels, just trying to compare apples to apples.

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

I'm camparing it to a 35hp big block vangard which is the only engine that will keep with a 26 or 31 hp diesel.
    Posted via Mobile Device