28 Acres...no clue where to start!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HPI_Savage25, Oct 18, 2012.

1. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

Yeah I hired a friend for the big clean up. I will Probably get someone to help me If I get a contract. I'm about to start school again so this will be a weekend accoun most likely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. HPI_Savage25

Here is a cool pic I took while messing with the new camera.

DSCF0384.jpg

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

very nice photo. I did not know you were part time. Good luck

4. HPI_Savage25

Yeah I have about another semester of school and then ill be done. I only have classes a few days a week this year and 2 of those days is from 8-8:50 so pretty much I can work a full day. I'm excited to get my horticulture diploma and get out in the field full time. I also plan to get my applicators license as soon as I graduate and get some time to study the materials for it
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Again, you managed this account well and good luck. Keep rolling

6. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

You need to figure at least an additional 10 mins per man hour for employee labor as know one will be as efficient as you doing the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. In2une

In2une LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. In2une

In2une LawnSite Member

I agree with the guys. Give the guy a break! I have 18 years in the business and have seen and been through alot.
    My advice would not google earth it. It will not give you what you need to give a proper estimate. The best thing to do is to get on your mower and check the entire property first hand. Meaning that there is a ton to consider with a property this size. For example I had the opportunity to take on a 36 acre farm account. I ran 3 52" wright standers 2 48's and one bobcat 36 for the fenced in areas. With 2 guys trimming. This property took 8 guys all with over 6 years experience working a full 10 hr day and we still had to spend 5 hours the next day.
    That being said I agreed to cut the property once to see if it worked for me and my equipment.
    That was the last time I cut it it!! The property had a ton of uneven terrain sink holes, random large rabbit and or fox holes and endless trimming. That one time cut did more damage to my equipment than I had ever sustained cutting 110 residential lawns a month.
    This is stuff that you would obviously never see google earthing or just partially walking out and looking over the property like most do.
    Hope this helps. And keep you head up!
    Posted via Mobile Device