28 Acres...no clue where to start!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HPI_Savage25, Oct 18, 2012.

1. richardcog

richardcog LawnSite Member

Yes he is right that sounds like from what u said it is over your head. Start small and work up slowly. Never put all your eggs in one place good luck

2. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

If you can rent a mower somewhere you could offer to do it once for 1000 just to see how long it takes.

3. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I did a 22 acre campground for $1850 a cut and it wasnt worth it. We had 3 Ztrs on it and it took a full day.

4. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Half the people on here would push mow it for $3k/week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jgrs7

jgrs7 LawnSite Member

we do a 29 acre complex and i get 3100 a month. if that helps any.

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I bet it was a good dream thou...

Let me give you another clue, you're not the only one who has no idea what they're talking about...
    Many years ago I was given the opportunity to bid on an office park that I was told was between 2-4 acres in size...
    And like yourself, if they said it was 28 acres I took their word for it because I had no way of knowing otherwise.
    BIG mistake.

Not until now was I able to figure out how big the place actually was...
    Total lot size, 8 acres.

And I have nobody else to blame.
    So how do you know if it's 28 acres, or 50, or maybe it's 80?

You need that kind of experience where you can tell, or it will fry your tail.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. A1 Outdoor Services

A1 Outdoor Services LawnSite Member

The first thing you have to do is figure up somewhat accurately how long it will take you to cut it. If you can't do that, probably not ready for that yet

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We do one property that is 13 acres, very little trimming, with 2 Z's and a Walker and it takes us around 4 hours. I think 28 acres will take more than one day with just one Z and a Walker. Good luck to you, but if they do put it out to bid don't expect to beat out an LCO with the right equipment to do the job.

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Here's the key thing PRIVATE SCHOOL..... unless it's some type of charter school with loaded of high end dollars, they will be looking for absolutely cheapest price possible. We dealt with 2 private schools for a couple of years, both of them around 4, 5 acres a piece, both were total pains and had to constantly hear it about funds and the such.

Is all 28 acres going to be mowed?

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Another dream. He wants to be the one riding on the mower because it's a bigger mower then he's using now.