28 EFI Economy

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nick858, Apr 29, 2007.

1. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I bought a 28EFI/60 inch about a month ago. The word was better economy. Today I ran both my 27/60 and the EFI side by side, and when we got home the 27 was running 1.22g/hr, and the EFI ran 1.33 g/hr. The 27 has 400 hours on it, while the EFI has just 35. Can I expect the economy to go up any once the engine has had a longer break in time?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will notice a difference once you have broken the engine in.

Pj

3. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Thanks PJ, thats what I figured. Even if the economy doesnt go as good as I hoped, its still an awesome engine.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This is the first season in many that I don't have a EFI unit here at my house... I am going to miss it.... I love the instant power and no choke.

5. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

My two efi 60" XR7's used 12 gallons each in the first 11 hrs.

6. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

And dont forget, No annoying backfire.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

So true !!!

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

If the efi doesn't get better fuel economy than the carburetor model you have a serious problem.

9. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Well thats what Im hoping, better economy I mean. I asked the question to see if it should get better once the engine is broke in. I am sure it did worse the first 2 tank through it than my 27, I watched closely. I had heard anything from .75-1 g/hr, so hopefully with a few more hours on it I will be getting better.

10. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Happy to report the EFI is definitely showing improvement. We ran the 27 and the 28EFI yesterday, and after 7 hours of use, the EFI used exactly 2 gallons less gas. Havent gotten an exact fuel rate, but it was definitely 2 gallons less on the same terrain.