28 Efi On 60 Inch Super Z Bogging

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DESTEFANO3782, Jul 2, 2006.

1. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 LawnSite Member

I Just Bought This Mower Brand New Last Week And Noticed That When You Are On Even Slight Inclines Trying To Climb The Engine Really Boggs Down. Is This Normal?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Bogs down as in feels like its running out of fuel?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I found that hills and speed affect the RPM's of this mower WAY more than cutting heavy grass does.

4. DESTEFANO3782

its like the rpms are falling becasue its working to hard and im loosing blade speed. i have to slow down and let the rpms pick up again.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

With the larger pumps you need to slow down a bit when working on slopes, they require a little more hp.
    Slow down and let the RPM's stay higher and you will be fine.
    If you feel that it is excessive, then have your dealer take a look at the mower, they can check the RPM's and make sure it is to spec.

Pj

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

After test driving I can tell you that this is true. Big pumps and motors take alot of hp going up hills. After testing my Lazer which has a top speed of 10 mph and getting on a Hustler the Hustler felt like a little rocket when shooting across the parking lot. When the blades are engaged though it was like taking off in second gear in an auto. Takes a while to get up to speed without bogging it down. So going up hill would be a strain more so on a mower that would run 15 mph than one that will run 10. So it's a bit of a trade off faster speed overall but a little less lugging power on steep area's. This is assuming you have the same engine. Just slow down on grades. We all do unless you have 35 hp or something and your still will probably loose some speed.

7. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

you are spining 21cc pumps .....that takes a lot of power in itself, cut side to side instead, and not load up the deck with grass.
    you cannot cut good and go up hill with that thing too.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I believe you have another problem when you are talking about slight inclines that motor should not be bogging any because I know you are not throwing it to full speed, change tanks and see if it has the same problem. I had a friend with the 28 efi going down hill and turning to the right it would lose fuel so he changed tanks and it stopped so that told him it was a fuel pick up problem and not the engine.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,

I'm not too happy with the fuel pickup design. The hoses seem to want to reside in the rear well of the tank. That isn't the lowest point in the tank. I still see fuel in the sight gauge in the front, yet I run out. Look in tank and see pickup tube in the rear.

I grabbed the tube and lowered it into the front section, but somehow, it really likes the rear, as the next time I got low, it ran out again and it was back in the rear.

Why not just have a bottom pickup on the lowest portion of the tank like a Lazer?

Good thing is, I've been getting real good at switching tanks w/o needing to prime!

10. DESTEFANO3782

its not the fuel, but i agree the hoses do go to the back. this is new england so we have alot of slopes. the check engine light also comes on when im mowing slopes as well. its really starting to urk me because 1 have a 23 kawi on a wright stander and its been doin these same hills for 3 years and doesnt even flinch??????????????????????