28 hp Kohler EFI battery won't stay charged

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gocards, Jun 9, 2008.

1. gocards

gocards LawnSite Member

I have a 28 hp Kohler EFI and it keeps draining the battery. I'll run the mower for a while and it won't keep the battery charged. It will eventually die and when I go to start it, it just clicks. I've pulled the fuse and replaced fuse. And then it will run for a little while (after charging the battery) and then the same thing again. I've tried cleaning the connections on the three wire plug. New rectifier. Still doesn't want to stay charged. Anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

does it have a voltage regulator?

3. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Usually when your losing battery juice that means either your fuse to your starter is bad or your starter is on its way out. I would bring it to your dealer and see what they think. Thats what was going on with my Walker.

4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

or the charging system quit used to have a cub that if i wanted to run it i would have to charge the batt in the morning or befor every use. after awhile it was just second nature to chrage, never got around to fixing it finally sold it. should of kept it o well

5. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the stator and regulator replaced on my E.F.I.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

bad battery

7. gocards

gocards LawnSite Member

Why did you replace the stator and regulator? What problems were you having? Thanks!

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody should have this, even if you don't own anything but a vehicle.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200323723_200323723