28 hp kohler efi yeh or neh?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Apr 12, 2007.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I'm in the process of purchasing a Lastec 61" with the 28 efi. Have these been reliable engines? I've never owned an efi. I've heard they can be expensive to work on. Anyone with experience I would love to hear from you.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about this engine. I'm certainly not.

The electronics are proven and were used in the 26efi that came out almost 10 years ago.

This engine produces the most usable power of any 725-750cc class engine.

3. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Wouldnt worry about the 28 EFIs at all. I have a 26EFI and also a 28 EFI both are excellent engines. Alot better on fuel than the carbed models. Probally going to add another 28 EFI shortly.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think they have proven them selves for the most part. I wouldn't be afraid of one. Heard a few complaints on the early 26 efi but they seem to be a solid engine now.

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Been runnin' one on a Dixie Chopper since last May (170 hrs). So far so good-real easy on fuel, but tricky to restart it if you run it out of gas.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

That is a nice machine . Let us know how you like it. I always wanted to se how well it mulched. Are you going to mulch or side discharge?

7. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

If you run them out of gas, just turn the key to "on" and let the fuel pump run for about a minute, and then try to restart, starts like a champ...:waving:

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I do not have one and I am in the same boat as you. I have been running the same Hustler since 99. The mower has made me a lot of money and I have no complaints. I am however ready for change. I want something new and I have come across a really good deal on a 28 EFI Super Z. I am a little scared of the EFI for only one reason. A couple of mechanics that know me and know how well I take care of my equipment told me that if I were getting this mower for long term then pass. Most guys will purchase a mower and run it for 2 years and then flip it when warranty is up. If I practiced this then they said jump on it but as of now I do not have that luxury. When my warranty is up I would not be looking forward to replacing injectors or computers so with that said I will go with the 27 or 30 carb. If you are planning on flipping that mower at the end of its warranty then I say go for it.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The engine will physically wear out prior to any of the Bosch Fuel Injection parts needing replaced. One thing that you may want to replace is the Oxygen sensor. Other than that, they're a 3-4K hr engine.

Don't be afraid....it's not rocket science.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When you run a efi engine you want go
    back there is just no comparison. Take a 30 and run it then run the 28 efi in the same area, tottaly different response time the efi has brought the rpm's
    back up while the 30 is still trying to get there.