28 hp vanguard = awesome

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Just picked up a ferris with the 28hp vanguard motor and holy cow this things a powerhouse. I'm wondering what the difference is between these and the 30 and 32hp versions. They have the same displacement - I heard a theory that the 30hp is just a 32 set to run at a lower rpm but the 28 sounds like it's running at full throttle. Maybe a stop on the butterfly...

I am pleasantly surprised and prefer this motor to the 31 kawi on our hustler...

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That theory is bunk. According the Vanguard website they are al rated at 3600 rpm. The difference is in the throttle shafts mainly.

Go to this link, then the engine you want to look at, then click on the power curve PDF in the upper right-

http://www.vanguardengines.com/engines/Air Cooled V-Twin Big Block Vertical Shaft/32-gross-hp-vs/

3. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

My first Vangard is on my Z-spray intermediate. I believe it's a 16 hp. I have to say so far I am supper impressed. Very smooth and quite. Doesn't seem to hunt around as much as other engines I've used.

4. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to hear you like it so much, I think vanguard is one of the more underrated engines out there.

5. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I'm putting some coin aside this year to replace my Kaw FB460V with either a 16 0r 18HP vanguard for this coming winter project and ditto on your purchase

6. i tested a ferris with a 30hp vanguard last year. I really liked it, buy it was loud. I mean really loud. Like i cant even hear my worktunes so there was no use turning it on. And even with earmuffs on, it seemed loud to me. Does anyone know if this is normal for a vanguard? The mower was brand new, i was the first to use it.

7. D&F lawnmaster

D&F lawnmaster LawnSite Member

i just replace my 38 kolher on my Exmark lazer z with a 36Briggs Vanguard. I can tell right now that i have more power with this vanguard than i did with the kohler. Since March 2010 this kolher has blown three times.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Something wrong my 32 Vanguard is quieter than Kawy's and Kohlers I have. I'd guess a muffler issue?

9. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

My Z-Spray is very quite but I believe it's due to the huge muffler system that Z-Spray themselves install on their units. It's a muffler that goes under the unit and travels the full width of the frame.

10. GreenConcepts

GreenConcepts LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what the policy around here is on bringing up old threads, but I just wanted to put out there that decreasing the rpm is exactly how they come up with the power difference in the two engines at hand. This link was up quite a while before this topic was being discussed on this site, but I don't know if it was brought up again later;

http://www.vanguardengines.com/news...-Commercial-Power-Develops-New-Engine-Option/

I actually stumbled across this thread and that link while trying to figure out what the difference was in the two motors since they are the same size.

Now the question is, how do you get the extra 400 rpm for those of us with the 30hp?