283 acres of municipal mowing. 103 properties. Covering my a#&

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by qualitylandscaping, Feb 7, 2009.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

No sweat, we're swamped with work so its not a big deal. I just can't imagine working trying to get by on ~$26/hr every other week?! Some peoples calculations, just make no practical sense.

We'll get the good stuff. Let them work for free!:drinkup:

2. lawnboy2068

lawnboy2068 LawnSite Member

This is astounding! What a shame but I guess as the economy falls so does the pricing. For those prices with litter clean up I wouldn't even get out of bed. You have to wonder about some companies but we will never actually find out their motivation behind their decisions.

Good luck to you on the rest of your year.
    James

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Was it a big company that won the bid?

4. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

Im curious as to what your estimation was for man hours for each section. I really would like to see what you thought your cost was. $15 per acre sounds good to me if you can truly mow 8 acres in an hour. I know were in completely demographics but down here all a 60 inch mower will bring is 45 dollars an hour, and each additional man will bring 25 to 35 dollars an hour. Exactly how long is a season in new york? Please dont take this as criticism, I'm just merely asking questions as I would like to see a breakdown.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I am in a different part of NY so it may be different here, guys run from about now with spring cleanups to mid november sometimes first of december with cleanups generally 30-32 cuts.

BUT, it does not matter when your at the beach:waving: we go to sunset beach great spot you have, you hiring??:cry:

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ya that sucks. But are you surpised? I stopped wasting my time with municipal work a long time ago. Maybe some people can sift through the crap and find a good account. But I have found I am NEVER competitive with the winning bidder. I'm usually in line with the bulk of all the bids but there is always someone way low! This economy is down but I have found even in a good economy municiple bids are usually won by a dirt cheap bid.

7. MATSON TURF

MATSON TURF LawnSite Member

Thats city work for you.....I bid a bunch of city work this year, trying to add a fourth crew...All the work went for about $15-$20 per man hour....Thats enough to make you wanna PUKE!!!..If someone out there can explain how you run a company on $20 per man hour, Please explain it to me..cause ive been in business 16 years and i must be clueless...I will run 3 crews and protect the work i have...

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

So... someone out there is going to get bonded and run 5 million dollar liability, and obviously WC and such (in NY, mind you) and work for $15/ acre?? Wow, hope they dont wake up till its over, cause it will surely be a rude awakening!

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Matt, what do you think they will do when the request payroll records to show that they were paying prevailing wages?????:hammerhead:

Most city/town/etc jobs are prevailing wage around here and they will check documentation as well. We bid a job over the winter that they ran background checks before they announced the award

10. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

After going back and looking at some of our bigger maintenance accounts thats about what were getting is $45 to $50 per acre. Sorry for the questioning Ive just always priced everything by the hour on a bid.