288 Spyker spreader, $299, easiest way

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jan 21, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Many previous links are now unavailable, so I just talked to my local LESCO freinds.

Easiest way to get a Spyker 288 spreader for $299:

Call Chad at John Deere Landscape. (515) 986-9700. He's in Grimes, IA (a suburb of Des Moines). You will probably have to fill out a new credit app, but it's easy, and he can help you with it as well as direct shipping to you.

Spyker's new 288 model is "bar none" the best professional lawn spreader on the market. Trust me on this. We've used them all, and the 288 is heads above anything out there. Once you open the box, you will see what I mean.:usflag:

2. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I went to the JD Landscapes with the Advance Order Form in my hand and gave him the part numbers and prices of all the things I wanted to order... no problems. I loaded up on shovel's, prunning saws, clippers, backpack sprayers and a 288 spreader. He said it was really good prices and just kept on typing in part numbers.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Good job. You will not go wrong with your new Spyker spreader.

4. pglover19

pglover19 LawnSite Member

Do you have to own a lawn care business in order to get the $299 for the Spyker 288 spreader at the John Deere Landscape store? I am tried on purchasing cheap spreaders every 2 years.

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

You do not need to own a lawn care business in order to get that price on the spreader. Just go on in and let them know that you want one. If there's none in the store, they'll be able to get you one.

6. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

do the spykers have the side shield like the lesco's add-on feature? Sounds like they are much better (from what I've read here), but I would like a side deflector (unless anyone can tell me I don't need one). Thanks guys- newly licensed this year (in mowing for 6 now)

7. americanlawn

from midwest

rmmllc -- deflector shield (they call it a "border patrol") & cover are a must. they are sold separately (usually combined in a kit). guessing....$50 ???

8. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

OK- thanks for the info. I'll try one out this year.
    I knew the Lesco ones have the deflector option, just wasn't sure if you could get one for the Spyker. I'm excited to try one out now.

9. americanlawn

from midwest

Some LESCO spreaders use cables.........these always corrode. No prob with the Spykers. Even the manual deflector shields on LESCO's get gummed up. Again.....no prob regarding Spykers. I like LESCO, and I'm glad they now sell Spyker. Thanks LESCO, and good luick to you.

10. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Good to know. What other major differences are there between the two? I've read the placement (length) of the handles is a big advantage on the Spykers. What else?