289c

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Looking for a machine for septic system installs.
    I am going to buy a small dozer or 289C...any opinions?
    Anyone know how the 6 way blade works with the tracked machine compared to dozer?
    Thanks
    :canadaflag:

2. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a LOT of septic system jobs 2 or 3 years ago. Probably 2 or 3 dozen a year. I always did them with a Link-Belt 2700 and a Dresser TD7.

That is probably the equivalent of a CAT 315 or so and a D3 or D4. A MTL/CTL would be good for doing finish work if you aren't bringing in screened topsoil to finish off. If you go with a MTL or a CTL you should get a rockhound to do your finish work. They do an awesome job of picking up any rocks from fist sized down and sometimes they can get bigger ones as well.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a small dozer, a blade on a CTL isn't the best for hard packed material, they are better for finish grade. A skid steer is designed to haul and dig, whereas a dozer is designed to push.
    Another option is a blade runner excavator from Kobelco, excavator and a dedicated dozer drive system and blade.

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

You dig with your excavator right? I would say something like a 440/450 Case(thats what I like) with steel tracks or VTS would be fine, your not doing mass excavating. I would skip the dozer blade, regular bucket or an 4n1 bucket. A skid can do way more than some think and be much less money(purchase and maintenance).

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Realizing spetic systems are different all over the country. Why a dozer? We install spetics and even on the commercial systems, I have never needed a dozer. I dig them with a 12K mini or a 160 if it happens to be on site (but I would never mob in for a septic) and backfill will mini or skid steer as appropriate (depending on depth of infiltrators).

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I never heard of using a dozer to put a septic system in. A mini excavator is used anything from a 12,000 to a PC78 sized machine.

7. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here a backhoe or excavator unless its for grading the field and surrounding area after but you can still do all the system with an excavator.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we do allllll our septic installs with a backhoe (except the ones that are ridiculously larger then we use a t-hoe)....backhoes are nice because if you can't get your stone to the trenches you have a nice big bucket to carry with

9. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 8’ blade for my T320. It has 92 HP and weighs close to 12,000 LBS with the blade, so it’s comparable to a small dozer. The dozer will have a more durable undercarriage which means lower operating costs but it’s not as versatile as a CTL.

This is a short YouTube video of my machine with the blade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOvkJsCsvs

10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Man that is one b@ss ctl pushing a blade! But I don't think it will work for a septic install that well. How are you going to dig the laterals with a CTL? I think a TLB would work much better for somenthing like this.