28hp EFI 72" Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Bevo916, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Bevo916

Bevo916 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hello,,

I am looking to purchase a 72" mower to start mowing 8 baseball fields. I have looked at the Dixie Chopper 72" twin engine. I have a dealer that is going to demo a Super Z 28hp EFI tommorow. I was wondering if the 28hp is large enough for the 72" deck. I want a mower that get the job done quickly and make the fields look nice. Could someone help me make my mind up...

Thanks
    Bevo916

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 28 EFI is plenty for the 72" deck, it runs it with ease.
    Your demo will tell you everything you need to know, this machine is a great choice for the application you are going to be putting it in.
    Fast mowing with a great cut.

Pj

3. guff1972

guff1972 LawnSite Member

I own one of these machines and it is awesome, has plenty of power for any job,

4. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I have 2005 Super Z 60/28 EFI, and I personally think you would need more power on a 72" deck.

If I had to cut what you described above and get the job done quickly I would want the largest engine Hustler offers on a 72".

If you demo the 28 EFI and then demo the larger engine, you will have your answer and want have to second guess yourself.

Nothing speaks like your own experience on a demo.

5. Bevo916

Bevo916 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Well, I test drove a 66" with a 25hp super z today.. The machine feels nice and the controls are smooth. However I really feel the machine is under-powered. I had the deck raised up with the deck engaged and the motor felt sluggish. I was really leaning to a Super Z with a 28hp EFI but now I have may have second thoughts...

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Bevo916

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

What perfect timimg for this thread. I went to Right of Way Equipment Co.'s "Pro Days" today. We got to talking about engine selection for this very machine (and the 66). First and foremost I am a Super Z man, period. But I do love Kawasaki's; especially liquid cooled. I presently have the 26. Exmark is showing a Kawasaki, DFI, liquid cooled as an engine option. Would love to see this in a 72" Super Z. Got any rumors or plans? Thanks.;)

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 28 EFI will fit your needs, it is a awesome engine and you will not be disappointed with its performance.

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No rumors or plans with that engine.
    As you are aware we only use vertical shaft engines in our Z's (except the diesel) and the DFI Kawi is only available in a horizontal as far as i know.
    I have not heard of or seen anything we are working on using that engine.
    Sorry...

Pj

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I can understand that. As much as I love Kawasaki's, Super Z is all I use. I guess it will be the Kohler EFI for me. Right-of-Way does sell a lot of Kohlers. Hey, anything to stay away from those dreaded gear boxes.:dizzy: