28hp EFI Kohler vs. 35hp Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking at buying a 73" Lastec. My dealer has on the showroom floor one with the 28hp EFI Kohler for $13,500. They quoted me $13,900 for the 35hp Vanguard which surprised me that it was higher priced. Does anyone happen to have experience with both engines. The Vanguard will have more power but use more fuel. The Kohler will obviously be the most fuel efficient.

Opinions please....

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

With a 73" articulating deck, I'd likely prefer the 35hp Vanguard. Not that the 28EFI isn't great, it just isn't in the same class as the Big Blocks.

Fuel wise....The 35 BVG will be sipping where the 28EFI's injectors will be working overtime. Might not be that big of a difference in fuel economy.

3. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

On that particular machine I too agree with tls. go with the vanguard! I like the efi engine but that machine is pretty heavy!

4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have both, for that big of a deck, I would definatley go with the 35hp

5. mainstreet1984

mainstreet1984 LawnSite Member

I would go with vanguard also because of the size of your deck. 35 hp will have more "life time" and durability :weightlifter:

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Not to jack the thread, but how are these new briggs? Most of my past experiences with the ones up to around 20hp were trouble prone. Are they getting better?

7. jtkplc

I'm glad you posted. I know you like power just like I do and you have experience with the EFI.

8. jtkplc

The 31hp Vanguard I've ran for the past two seasons has been trouble free with around 800 hours. It's smooth, powerful, and reliable.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The Big Block Vanguards are doing very well. No news is good news! Power beyond your best expectations.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

P O W E R..... Ahhhh....!!!

Now if they'd just EFI these Big Blocks! :weightlifter: