1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

28hp EFI v 30hp (Kohlers)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Markf, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

We are in the market for a new 60" ZTR. (Brand is not an issue for this thread). However, we are at a dilemma regarding the two engines. Marketing material for the 28 promises fuel savings, but this option is approximately $1200 more. (For that money, there are other features that are standard at this level of machine that are options on another) The $1200 can be recouped quickly enough. I am more concerned with reliability and if there is enough hp to run a collection system which is belt driven. I am familiar with the 30hp and there is enough hp to do this.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I personally would go with the 28efi. Better response to load, easier starting, and good on fuel. 1200 sounds high for the efi option to me. The efi will have enough hp IMO and will accept the added load better than the 30 hp carb.
  3. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

4. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I would ask the dealer if he can fix EFI problems that arise from time to time. If he blinks, he;s lying!;)

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer 30 hp 66" XR-7 $8499.95, 28 efi 66" XR-7 $8999.95, 28 efi 60" XR-7 $8599.00 an he has several mechanics that can fix anything, they have to he sells about forty different brands of equipment.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've been advised not to Jump start an EFI engine. So customers are causing some of the problems not knowing how to take care of the EFI. Not sure what it does to them (short computer out)? I would like to have one but they can't work on them here or won't.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I just got off of mine mowing a lot of aggravating Dallas grass with the stems standing 2 feet tall and cutting like baling twine. I'm glad I had sharp blades or it would leave stringers standing because it is extremely dry here and that makes the grass and weeds very tough but the mower did an excellent job. I will let you know exactly how the 28 efi holds up and what problems if any I have with it, as of 90 hrs. it is the best cranking, (no choke) best fuel economy and strongest engine out of the 4 Super Z's I have owned but if they would put a 35 efi on one I would trade tomorrow. I will have to look in to the jump starting but out of the five years I have owned Hustler's I have never had to jump start one. You will blow a power pack on a boat motor if you let it spark when you hook the cables up so it probably does the same thing on the efi module. I hope there is not any work to do on the efi other than maintenance for a good long while but if mechanics do not learn how to work on them I think Hustler should require each dealer to have someone trained to solve the problems. My dealer tells me it is no harder than anything else it is just a matter of making sure someone is knowledgeable about the efi and a $300.00 piece of test equipment is on hand.
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am so far unimpressed by my 30 Kohler. I have not been able to really tell a difference between it and my 27 Kohler both on 60" decks. The 30hp has had the intake tube fix, so you can start it sometimes without the choke. To me it is slow to warm up, takes some choke to get the blades engaged if she has not been run recently, and really bogs when giving it throttle. I put double blades un her yesterday just for fun, and in tall wet grass (one week growth and cutting 1/2" higher then normal, I nearly had to stop at times to keep it from dieing. I was trying to mow a steep hill up the face in nomal growth, and and to slow to a crawl to keep it from shutting down. Looks like I got a more expensive mower that will use more fuel and give me little in return. I would go with the 28 efi if your dealer is comfortable servicing it if there is a problem.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

That is what the dealer told me the 30 was really no more powerful than the 27 but said the 28 was definitely more powerful.
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Man, those are awesome prices. If my local dealer has comparable prices, I might seriously consider jumping on that. When I bought my brand new Gravely 260Z with 25 HP Kawasaki back in August of '03, I paid $8400 out the door, which is crazy that 3 years later you can buy a much better deck, engine, and probably overall mower for $700 more. I guess I'm going to have to make a trip over to my dealer...