28hp Kohler EFI fuel economy....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Nov 5, 2007.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well here is my findings....

28hp EFI Kohler on my Hustler SuperZ.

60" XR-7 Deck

Keep in mind 21cc hydro pumps and I work my equipment.

5.3 hrs between exact fill-ups on the same pump at the same station.

7.184 gallons were added.

That comes to 1.355 gallons/hr

This was likely about as normal a 5.3hrs that you could see in November for me. Pretty normal grass growth, nice and thick turf. I was going to let it go another day (for a longer hr average), but I didn't want to stop for fuel next time I'm out as I have a big day planned.

So....is this 1.36 gal/hr THAT bad?

P.S.....if you divide the figures the other way (the wrong way!) you mysteriously come out with .737 Is this where some guys are coming up with their 3/4 gal/hr figures?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

That isn't too bad. I normally was around 1.1 to 1.2 gph. I'll check mine after tomorrow.

Did you fill the tank up to the neck or something? That was my concern that I wasn't getting it to the same spot the fuel started at.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, actually about an inch or so down from the very top of the neck! With the cold weather, expansion isn't an issue.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

kc2006,

I forget, what mower are you running this engine in?

5. kc2006

ah. Ok I'm gunna give it a go tomorrow and let you know what I find. Mines on an exmark though so I might see better due to the smaller pumps.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you using the Ultra Vac with these figures?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bump for prime time viewing....

8. kc2006

I'll do it with and without. I've wanted to see how bad the ultravac kills fuel effiecency.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The UV really worked my 27hp LC Kawi.

Never used it enough to figure fuel usage though.

10. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Your Figures seem on par to me, I've experienced close to that or more in heavy growth and some hills..

I think the Fuel consumption on this E.F.I. varies more that a comparable size carb. motor. The e.f.i. is more fine tuned to load and barometric pressures.. I've been anywhere from 1 to 1.4 G.P.H.

I believe most of the efficiency comes from better load sensing and atomization of the fuel.. I remember some of the early turbo diesels had no aneriod valve on the pump, they would fuel the same rate at 2000 r.p.m. at no load or full load making light load jobs un-economical.. The mechanical motors that followed were a lot better on fuel when increasing or decreasing fuel based on load (boost).