29 Efi/lc Kawi Gph

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB1234, Nov 1, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

FYI for those interested.

We have a 2006 SCAG TT 61 advatange deck with 29 LC/EFI kawi. I put exactly four hours on the mower today and consumed 5.5 gallons. Basically got 0.7 gallons per hour.

I had super high lift blades on the machine with the rear soft bagger/side saddle attached. Did 9 lawns that average out to about 0.75 acre mowable. I side discharged two of the nine lawns. Lots of leaves and the first three accounts were VERY wet. Two of the accounts have significant hillsides to traverse. All in all I'm still impressed with the fuel consumption.

I'm going to try and remember to calculate tomorrow and again without the bagger and super high lifts to see what type of difference the high lifts are giving me in fuel consumption.

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Need to check your math. Unless you transposed your figures, that works out to 1.375 gph.

3. LB1234

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL you are right!

Sorry as MOturkey said, its 1.375 gallons PER hour.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Your right, that just shows you what happens when you skip class.

LawnSite is dragging very slowly for me tonight, other sites are very fast.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well at least we got some input on the 29 Kawasaki fuel usage. It's using about the same as my 31 hp carbureted Briggs. Looks like the 28 efi Kohler is the fuel usage champ. We could use more input.

6. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

As tacoma points out, more info would be good. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only geek that records useage numbers! I've even gone as far as temporary installing a gps system to messure how much area I've cut.

I have a question, does any of the injected engines have an oxygen sensor? Some engine control systems can use a lookup table to control the injectors. This keeps engine controller cost down. The oxygen sensor systems can maintain better fuel usage, but also cost more.

LB1234, don't worry about getting the numbers crossed up, we still appreciate you taking the time to post them.

7. LB1234

what are you running?

8. puppypaws

Yes, the Bosch system Kohler uses...

Quote: The Kawasaki system is an "OPEN LOOP" , non-feedback
    system. This means that it follows a predetermined fuel map with no
    feedback or ability to adapt to changing conditions or altitude. The
    Kohler EFI is a Bosch designed "CLOSED LOOP " feedback fuel injection
    system. This system uses an oxygen sensor and various inputs (from the
    speed sensor, oil temp. sensor and throttle position sensor) to
    determine what fuel and ignition requirements needed to constantly adapt
    and deliver maximum efficiency. While actual testing in the Lab has
    shown a fuel efficiency gain of only about 10 to 12 percent at WOT and
    full load, field testing has shown gains in the neighborhood of 30
    percent due to the various speed and load requirements.

9. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if there was a retrofit fuel injection system available, how many people would be interested. I understand it would depend a lot on the cost, but for the fun of it, if a system could be had for say under $300 would you be interested? I think I might seriously consider it if I knew I would get better starts, fuel usage, and maybe more top end power.

10. puppypaws

I can promise all the above with the Bosch system on my 28 efi Kohler.

I am certain it would be impossible for a engine to crank, switch off or have quicker responsive power, which automatically makes it feel like it has more hp with excellent fuel economy than the 28 efi I am running.

Now on the other side with the Super Z and 21 cc pumps I would love to have their new 38 hp fuel injected so there would never be a power slump.

Question: My computer is very very fast and LawnSite is acting crazy and responding very slowly, while everything else is perfect, are you noticing this. My computer responds in the blink of an eye and it is taking a very long time with LawnSite.