29 hp liquid cooled DFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Anybody have thoughts on the 29 horse liquid cooled DFI? I was told they have been around for a while on Deere products. I saw one recently on a 60" Cub Tank with a real appealing price tag. Not sure they Tank would be my first choice, but it may be better then I imagine.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

What was the price tag on the machine? I'd be very interested to know.

So far I havn't heard of any problems with this engine. All the problems with the Kaw engines seem to be with the air cooled engines. There aren't many liquid cooled DFI's out yey I don't think because I havn't heard much about them. The only manufacture's that are using them that I know of is JD, Scag, and Cub. I'm sure their good engines and one would pay for itself pretty quick because of the money you save on gas.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I'll have to check on that fuel consumption. But they are being used on John Deere's 797 ZTR.

However, I know of atleast one JD owner who would rather have the Cub/Lesco deck under him though. Really, you don't read or hear any complaints about the new Cub/Lesco ZTRs if you think about it......

I can't get over how the Cubs are priced so great in other areas besides my own. The standard 60" is right at 9K + 7% sales tax here. Too much.

4. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Scag has a Turf Tiger with a 29 Kawasaki DFI. They claim the price difference is made up in the first year with fuel savings. Estimated at $1600.00 in savings first year.....

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The Dealer I spoke to said in the $8600-8800 range. That is pretty stinkin good! I just wish it had all the other features I like about my Super Z!

6. Travis Followell

from KY

JD says that the 29 hp DFI engine burns .8 gal./hour under load and a carbureted engine burns 1-1.1 gal./hour under load.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere claims fuel consumption is 0.8 gal/hr under load. (1290lb machine w/72" deck)

This is the same fuel consumption claimed for a 19 Kaw under load. (1040 machine w/48" deck)

Not awesome, but not shabby either. But based on my personal Kawasaki experience, I'd have a hard time trusting those figures until they were proven to me. You can't tell from a demo either unless it's well broken in. The A/C engines are absolute pigs during break in, or atleast mine was. It instilled fear in me it used so much. I ran out of gas twice on the job by accident. It still struggles to get down to 1.0 gal/hr even this late in the year.

EDIT: Travis beat me to it on the #'s

8. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

I understand the 27hp Kawasaki LC burns 2.0 gal / hr and the 29hp DFI is at1.6 gal / hr. Not sure why JD is claiming so much less. The DFI is still a considable amout less.

9. Travis Followell

from KY

Those figures can't be right. I'm not questioning you or anything but where ever those came from had to be making a mistake because i've never heard of an engine burning 2 gal/hr of gas.

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Those fuel consumption rates are exactly what Scag quotes, and they have been using these engines longer than anyone else. This is the start of the third year that Scag has used the 29 dfi Kawasaki, and they say 1.6 gal per hour with a 72" mower under load is about average fuel use. This is also the fuel consumption rate of the 31 hp Daihatsu Diesel engine.