29 hp Scag Turf Tiger burning oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scottm1, May 31, 2008.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

My 07 Turf Tiger with a 29 hp KAwasaki has 125 hours on it, and it burns a little oil. It doesn't burn much(about a pint or so every 12-15 hours)which wouldn't really bother me, but everybody else I ask that has the 27 & 29 hp Kawasaki engines tell me theirs doesn't burn any oil at all. Does anybody else have to add any oil to an engine this new?

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler would say an ounce an hour is within their range, but I say that is entirely too much. My 28 efi Kohler gets rid of about 1/4 of an ounce in an hour, which I don't consider using oil. I believe yours is excessive, sounds like the rings may have never seated completely.

3. dbroken64

dbroken64 LawnSite Member

I have a 27 hp Kawasaki that blows out a white puff of smoke and it smells like oil burning when I start mine sometimes. I doesnt burn it when I am cutting with it, at least I cannot smell it or see smoke. Never had to add between oil changes but was always curious about the smoke at start up.

4. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

It is still under warranty, but it doesn't bother me enough to have them tear into my engine to fix it. Now If they told me to bring it in and they would bolt a brand new engine on it, I might let them do that. Otherwise, adding a little oil every other fill up doesn't bother me. However, when I hear of most others not having to do that, that makes me wish I didn't have to do it either.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I understand your feelings and you should not need to add oil that often....Kawasaki is not about to allow them to tear that engine down for that amount of oil usage.

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 29 dfi Tiger and it has around 90 hrs. on it. I will be switching to amzoil synthetic on my next oil chamge. If my mower burnt ANY oil I would probably be pissed. I paid alot of money for my mower and have never had an oil burning engine. I hope I never do or I will sell and buy till I get one that don't. In my opinion there is no excuse for an engine to use any amount of oil until it gets alot of hrs. "worn" I am very anal when it comes to my equipment. I don't mind spending the money but i want the service I deserve from of my equipment. Have you tried synthetic oils yet? What weight oil are you using. I noticed that my Scag owners manual says that some types of oil would cause oil consuption? Maybe try a different oil?:usflag:

7. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I use NAPA brand straight 30 weight. My wife works at NAPA and of course I get the best price on that particular oil, and since she works there in the office upstairs and see's the invoicing and pays the bills, she confirmed to me that the NAPA oil comes straight from VAlvoline. However, I have no problem with using something different even if it costs me more to do whatever I can to hep the situation. My main priority is not to save money, but make sure the mower gets what it needs. Does anybody have any suggestion on a different oil?

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer recommends amzoil synthetic after 100 hrs. Used it in my other Scag and did great.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What oil are you using? I know Kohler considers using a little oil acceptable but I'm not sure what the cut off is. Sounds like you using an ounce or so an hour and I doubt they would consider that a defect at this time. I know the the Briggs manuals says they will use more oil with multi-viscosity oils, even synthetic.

10. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

we have used opti oil for many years in everything. have never felt we lost any engine gefore it's time!