29 out of 39 days of RAIN- now leaves

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 29, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Since Sept 21, we've had RAIN for 29 days. Source: KCCI.com. No wonder why we're behind schedule. We barely got our "current" aeration's done, and now we're fighting rain, saturated/sloppy soils. On top of this, we're having to delay applying our 'wintertizer apps" due to "leafy lawns". This is becoming a nightmare. Many areas are reporting record rainfall.

Anybody else experiencing wet/saturated conditions like this?

2. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Central IL same story and getting very old, only half way threw our winterizers and still have about 50 aerations to do. This will be wettest October on record, lots of money setting out there and getting frustrating. And also now the leaves are falling.:cry:

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, though not as bad as you but very wet as of current

4. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Wet & windy cant finish Rd 4 To start rd 5 and now leaves :(

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Right on Larry...
    After a TOO dry late summer/early fall (couldn't buy a drop of rain, record streak of NO rainfall)...

Now we are having one of the coldest, wettest Octobers on record. Just when the farmers DON'T need it.

I got all of my apps/aerations done but we are talking like 15/rd not 1500 like you guys have.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

it's been wet here as well. Our's really started about the week after Labor Day. I'd be willing to bet in the last 45 days when you factor in weekends that it has rained at least half of them. The other half of the days it's been too wet to get anything done. It sucks.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Our wetest year on record was 74+ inches set in the 1880's. To be in the top 5 years of all time we would have to hit 65+ inches. (I think we may have already.) We were at 63+ as of this past Sunday and we've had at least a couple inches since. we still have 8-9 more weeks remaining this year! The Local News also pointed out that the longest stretch of time we've had without any rainfall this year was for 8 days back in late June, early July. To give you an idea, our state normally averages about 45 inches of rain per year...We aren't just soaked, we're water-logged.:dizzy:

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, pretty bad man. i love arkansas. you are about three weeks ahead of us in weather in the spring and i envy that

9. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yep, can't get work done and people are calling wondering why I haven't been there yet.

I guess when you don't work outside you forget how many days it has rained.

As a plus bob stated, either raining or to darn windy.

10. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

glad to hear im not the only one- got tired of blowing others leaves for free so came home @ 2 and did mine! Called all next weeks route and asked if they could have the leaves up- my fingers are crossed. Wet wet wet- we have all but a handful of aerations done, what a mess! gotta love going back to winterize two weeks later to find the nasty mud plugs we left rolling up on the magnum tires. will be looking forward to hibernation this year!