29 yds. and counting!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by siyaltrduc, Mar 21, 2007.

1. siyaltrduc

siyaltrduc LawnSite Member
    from Raleigh

So, I am putting in a bid for 29 yds of triple shredded mulch, bedscaping 370 linear feet, rounduping the beds (4000) sq. ft., reshaping about 20 small shrubs, and clearing some small saplings out of some nature areas (3 hours). I am thinking of a number around 2,200 dollars for the job. Does this sound about right or to high. I am worried about the price because do to the quantity of mulch should I give the customer a break in price. Let me know what you guys think.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Will the bank give you a break when you NEED to make your truck payment next winter?

3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

My price is $2320 for the mulch alone...you are way too low. $370 for the bed edging, the rest is at least another $400-$500...I would not touch it for less than $3000.00

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here. $80 a cubic yard installed and then another $800.00 or so for the rest.

Find a company that will deliver the mulch for free and then tell your customer you will eat the delivery charges. They will never know and it will make them feel better about the price.

5. siyaltrduc

siyaltrduc LawnSite Member
    from Raleigh

Isn't there a cost of living difference between here and there? I do wnat to make money but at the same time I do want to be fair because I need the work.

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it costs more to live in NC then it does the Midwest. You need to figure out what it will cost you to do the job. How much will you spend out of your pocket? How much will Uncle Sam get? Do you have employees? What do you want your profit to be?

Dont worry about what other people charge. Set your price and stick to it. You might think its high but you'll be surprised at what people will pay.

7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

wow you guys are doing 80 a yard? damn i need to up my prices i'm charging 65 for hardwood, wich i pay 18 a yd for and 75 for colored wich i pay 26 a yard.

8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Just shows you the difference in pricing from one area to another, and why questions like this are so difficult to answer. I would be right around $2500 and make a nice profit at that price.

9. jamo1911

jamo1911 LawnSite Member

Hey man it's spring time, if you are new or don't have any jobs to come out of winter do it a little cheaper and start working. Where I am the market will support at least 3K for that job.

10. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

are you making enough money at 2200.00? if so knock yourself out... everyone here is going to have a different answer because we all have different earning needs.. I would be around 3,000.00, but that means nothing