2A Modified Limestone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenWolverine00, Jan 28, 2008.

1. GreenWolverine00

GreenWolverine00 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hey guys, I don't post much, just lurk around and read alot.

First, all you guys do amazing work. We did our first wall only 30 feet long and 3.5' at the tallest point. As well as out first patio just a 15x15 square this past season and would like to get into it more.

I just had a question. I see alot of stuff about base material quesitons and I have one of my own.

I have talked to a bunch of Hardscapers in the area as well as the block/paver suppliers and I would say 99.9% of them recommend and use about 6 - 8 inches of 2A modified limestone tamped ofcourse as the base for retaining walls, then 1/2 inch or so of limestone dust to make it purfectly level. This is also the base they use for pavers with the sand on top.

I see alot of mention of modified gravel, but not limestone. Is this just an area difference?

Thanks

2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it's limestone. Being that your from PA, it's probably crushed bluestone. 2a Modified is the same thing as 'dirty stone' ,QP- Quarry Processed, road stone or blend. Whatever you wish to call it, it's a blended mixture of clean bluestone, clay and fines. You can also used recycled cement, as long as you use 3/4 minus. Stone Dust aka 'screenings' should only be used for final adjustment/leveling of wall blocks in lieu of sand. Sand tends to wash out when used for this purpose. Screenings should never be used as a substitute for concrete sand under pavingstones.