2cycle engine question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C.T. Lawn Care, Jul 17, 2003.

1. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

i hardly ever full throtal my weedeater. One of my friends that is int the business said that that was not good for the engine... is this true? he said that they are made to full throtal which i think is probably right but if you dont does it hurt the engine?
  2. It builds carbon up in the exhaust, it's not bad on the engine, more on the clutches.

Everyone who works for me is guilty as charged too.
  3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am of the opinion that 2-cycles work best at higher rpms because that is when they make the most power, however i don't think running them wide open all the time is that good for them either. I tend to operate at low-mid to mid throttle cause this is where it is most controlable and by trimming every week, the weeds aren't thick. I vary the throttle and open it up to clean it out every five minutes or so with a couple 1-2 second full throttles.

They will get plugged up if run at too low rpm for too long, but I can't say that this hurts the motor.
  5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

running them wide open all the time is nonsense. run them where they need to be for the conditions they are being used in. Wide open causes more heat and premature wear. Think about it. do you have to run your outboard engine wide open ? How about your 2-stroke dirt bike?
  6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I run all my 2-strokes wide open...our outboard engine is run wide open when off shore and my dirt bikes (125's) are run near redline all day long.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Run it flat out or the carbon will have to be removed from your exhaust port.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, that true. I tend to run my trimmers at mid range, full throttle if I'm cutting thick grass or weeds.
  9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Ahhhhhh, The full throttle debate. First, let me paint a picture; something like this. Off in the distance, you hear that high pitched wheeze, zing whatever, cutting through the air. A poor little 2 cycle engine screaming at the top of its lungs (if it could be translated into English, it would be screaming, God, take my life now). Then you notice the lawn technician with that white knuckle, death grip on the throttle, trying to get 4 million rpm's out of that poor little 4 stroke. What's he doing? He's curding a piece of grass with a plastic string. Let me cover this again for the S L O W readers. We're using a plastic string, spinning at several thousand rpm's C U T T I N G A B L A D E O F G R A S S ! !

This is a personal pet peeve of mine; can you tell? Anyone that ever has, ever does, or will ever work with or work for me, knows they won't have a job long under this scenario ;o)

Under normal working conditions, (excluding the rare occasion of cutting really tall grass, on a bank, etc...) a string trimmer shouldn't be working anymore than 1/3-1/2 throttle. Heck, half the time, on a weekly cut, I walk around with my string trimmer at idle; it cuts perfectly.

PS - Lighten that grip up fellas... little more....there ya go!
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would have to be speaking for most when i say that at idle my doesn't spin at all. Isnt there something called a centrifugal clutch?