1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2gal or 4gal chem gun?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Feb 24, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

which does everyone prefer?
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

don't understand
  3. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I use a Chem-Gun with a 2 gallon nozzle. We used to run 4 gallon nozzles but spent too much time reloading
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is a very broad question and would depend on your application....but here is a simple anwer.

You will want to run the LEAST AMOUNT of carrier (water) possible to get control.

You can run less then a gallon/K with broadleaf and still get excellent control. I run 28 oz/k and get great control.

REMEMBER: It is not the water that is giving you the control, so why use extra if it isn't needed?

The more water you run....the more $$$$$$ and time it will cost you!
  5. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

1,2 or 4 what ever your chose is nothing with out calibration in two critical areas. Your delivery gal. per acer out of nozzle( based on the amount of herbicide label per oz., gal. etc.)
    2. your calibrated walking speed or speed of delivery over a given area based on nozzles out put.

These are two critical step that can not be passed with out consideration.

Now, how you intend to use the products you choose, is another question each will have to ask ourselves. And base our choices on what we already know about it's complient effectiveness in the areas we reside!
  6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

good advice.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Creech, I agree--however--if you are a fert-mixer, mixing fertilizer with water, like I am, you need maximum water to reduce the concentration of fert in the water, to reduce the chance of fert burn. (Particularly in hot weather).

I get about 3 gallons per minute. At my walking speed, I am applying about 2.5 gallons per thousand sq feet.

I use the old white nozzle, (rated at 4 gal per minute). Because, this way you get very large droplets--and therefore minimum drift. I feel comfortable spraying as close as 12 inches from tomato plants. Of course I use a 12 inch gun extension on the front of my gun to extend my reach to about a seven foot swath.
  8. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i will only be applying post emergent herbicides. thanx again
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Wiseguy--may I suggest--keep a white and green nozzle in the glovebox. If wind comes up switch to a bigger nozzle for less drift. Keep on truckin.
  10. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I use the 2gpm nozzle calb with the sprayer which is set as per label. No need for the 4gpm nozzle, waste of material.