1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2nd Bad day for the Season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Aug 30, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

All was well yesterday up until I got to my last acct. for the day. Neighbor comes out and asks to mow his as well, said his mower broke. OK, no problem. I finish first yard and go to the neighbors. Made 2 trips around perimeter of yard and started on my vertical path. Got about 10' and hit a d@mn street sign that was buried down in the grass. It had been cut where it left about 4" of pole standing above the ground. Trashed my blade, not other damage. Probably should have had back up blades on truck, but I didn't. Since my other 2 mowers are in the shop for repair, I had no other choice but to use my trusty weed whacker to finish the back yard with. Man was that h$ll. Echo went right through it though, no problems. I went over it real well with back pack blower so it looked nice when I finished. I just felt like a jack@ss out there mowing a yard with a weed whacker. I guess we all have our days, yesterday was mine. LOL.
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like that guy might have warned you about that piece of pipe. Would have pissed me off after ruining a blade on a one-time deal.

The guy's mower was broken down but I bet it wasn't caused by that pipe.

3. Fadedsun

Fadedsun LawnSite Member

Atleast it was just a toro.

I keed, I keed
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it happens. not much more to say or do except get the machine repaired.
  6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a bad day for you? doesn't sound that bad to me, sounds like everyday stuff that goes one in my company.
  7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

well at least you might have made enuf money to buy a new blade. sucks though. if i was the homeowner i would have given you extra money for sure
  8. IndustrialGreen

IndustrialGreen LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Whenever I cut someplace for the first time, I walk it before I cut it. I don't catch eveything, every time, but I do catch allot of things that I might not see from the mower, especially holes, which seems to be the dominant hazard around here. That, and matchbox cars. Those can hit things pretty hard. Sorry about your mower, glad the damage was relatively minor.
  9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

that stinks this one guy I mow I weed wack the front yard because it is just so small and it is a pain to get even a 21inch mower to it.