1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2nd broken rim in 1 week....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Oct 15, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I posted pics last week or so w/ a rim that broke on my mower. Well, yesterday I was cutting and started feeling a "clunk", got up and looked and my other rim was broken the same way.

It is covered under warrenty and I'm getting new style rims so this problem must have already been addressed. I was cutting on a hill...so it just must be stress and then on an angle and "pop" all 4 lugs break at the same time. There are spacers between my rim and the axle....I'm wondering if that places stress right there on the lugs.

Hopefully the new rims will fix this problem. Good thing I have a back up mower....oh yeah, and the season is basically over. :clapping:

2nd break.jpg
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

man i was mad when you broke one now too thats some bs
  3. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

were they mad in China?
  4. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I just hope it's all covered...the Hustler rep on this site said it would be...but I'm waiting to hear from my dealer.

I just hope they don't tell me to go on a diet. :laugh:
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

These are covered under warranty.
    Once you install the new style rims it will not be a problem anymore.
    When you do install the new rims you throw away the spacer that was behind the old style rim.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They apparently got a batch of bad wheels.. I feel for the guys that don't find out until after the warranty expires. That could be very dangerous if one failed in the wrong place and time. They should recall all those rims.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes they should! Someone is going to end up getting injured or killed. Hustler knows its a problem so they are just waiting for someone to break one before they replace them? Unbelievable!
  8. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

On the last thread, you were told the wheel was covered under warranty and to get with your dealer. Apparently, you decided to use the "old style" wheel anyway. So why did you start another thread?
  9. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a Hustler, or work for them. But this is the type of warranty claim, it seems, they would cover beyond a warranty "period". In other words, it is based on the product design itself, not a monthly or hourly basis.

Gravely covered the same type warranty for me. Not a tire, but they had redesigned a part and they replaced it at the dealer for free, after the stated warranty had already expired.
  10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. hope the newer wheels work out better for you