1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2nd commercial bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 29, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i bid a commercial site once before, i just used my residential contract, i lost the bid, someone came in about 35% cheaper. i really didn't care. so, i get a call yesterday for a comm quote. small strip mall, i'd love to get it, it's right in my busy service area, and it will be mowing, ferts, edging/mulch of beds, seasonal flowers. NO parking lot cleanup, AND NO snow. perfect for me. now, of course the mulch, flowers, edging etc will be charged accordingly by the sq ft/cu yd. but as far as the mowing, can i look at it, and think of it like this: " ok, this would be the equivilent to 5-$30 residentials, so, i need $150 a mow." would that be a good way to price the mowing? also, what is the lifespan of an account like this? if we do a good job, can we expect to keep it for years, or should i expect to get bid out next season?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I can't answer your question but good luck. I only do small businesses in my area so I wouldn't know. (lawns only, mow trim edge and cleanup)
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

ALSO, it's seasonal, late march-early december, would my chances increase if i broke down the payments over 12 months?
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe show them different ways to pay. That may be more appealing to them and may help convince them that you are there to serve their needs as an honest businessman and person.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i figure mine by the hour per cut.then what ever you come up with multiply by 4.33
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

a great man once said, "if you keep shooting for $50-$60 an hr, you'll never make $100"
  7. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Are you serious here? Your posts are usually intellegent and you always seem to know how to make money.

The mowing should be priced accordingly. If it would take you as long as 5-30 dollar lawns minus the drive time, then 150 it is. Plain and simple.

As far as getting out bid year after year, it could very well happen. Why are they changing providors? Looking for a better price prerhaps? If they do open it for rebid next season, try and get them into a multi year contract.

Payment terms probably wont matter as they more than likely have a yearly budget and thats what they are looking to spend.
  8. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

I only do large commercial/industrial sites. I would calculate the mowing your hourly rate and estimated time. The customers I have really like the 12 monthly payments, and I have no problem with that (I'm a part time/scrub). With as many people out there in the lawn care business and with the corporate world constantly looking for ways to cut costs, being outbid is always a concern. But with good service, most companies will stay with you. I have never lost a commercial customer, but have had to cut one PITA.
  9. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have had commercial props. that we had looking like Augusta National only to lose them to a "cheaper" service the following year. Yes, you will get outbid; No, you will not have the prop. for years to come. Sorry to be so direct but that's how the gig works down here.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

this was part of my question. SHOULD i think of it in terms of eliminating drive time? i always try to squeeze every nickle i can from them. one guy by me said a good way to do it would be to break it down into $30 pieces, then DON'T discount drive time, he said commercial should be bid higher than residential