1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2nd crew-pushmow only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am constantly thinking -sometimes I go from one extreem to another. Here's tonights thought:

Since I have a very full schedule for my main crew (only crew), what if I put 1 man in my other truck w/ nice 21" and all the fixens. I have enough for him to work 2 seven hr days to start.

He could also pick up hours by doing hedge jobs at any of our accounts. He could be the "clean-up" man (raking etc.) -or bed work. It would be a very low $$$$ start-up.

Is there anybody who runs a regular FT crew who has considered this option?
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if u got enough lawns for a separate 21" crew go for it! set them up sorta as a mini crew.then in the long run ad to there equipment and turn them into a full crew as u grow.
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

used to work for a company who did this. worked well on small props. when one guy is visiting the same house weekly, he learns the lawn better and will be ultra productive-where to skip trimming, he knows whether the back patio needs blowing so he wont walk the prop for nothing, etc.

and he won't waste ten minutes after pulling up to each property having a conversation (i hope).
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You could get one of those handy ramps like Stone has and then you could put a 36" in the truck as well. This would not limit his productivity if you needed to add a property or two to the route to maintain productivity.

Place some racks on the sides of the beds and you can mount your trimmers and bp blowers etc right to the boards to keep them out of harms way.

Then you could build a rack that spans between the boards for fuel cans, catchers, line spools etc, that would keep your bed clear of unwanted obstacles.
  5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good training program for a new recruit. May also want to consider having him trim all your yards out first thing in the AM before you start a cuttin'. I posted a topic on this eariler with not much imput.

Curious to see how it would work out..

6. Guardian

from Florida

I believe it could work!

Thanks for the input. Bubble, sounds like it was a nice deal for the Company and for the customer (Who probably enjoys seeing the same guy, and probably likes seeing a smaller mower)

Kut 'n - It would definetly would be a great way to grow a company, just adding pieces as need called for. I have priced truck ramps and the best I've found was from Northern.

I will continue thinking on this and post results
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Guardian, I like the idea. Couple quick thoughts though.

You would have to decide if the income generated by a guy working two days a week will justify the cost of owning/running a second truck (gas, insurance, maintenance).
    If you already have a second truck (and it sounds like you do) that's not being used, then seems to make great sense to utilize it and get some more work.

Next thought. I wonder if you may have a hard time getting a part timer for two days a week? I think of part timers on weekends or in the early evenings after thier day jobs. You'd have to find someone that either only works a part time job and has two weekdays available, or someone that works nights and is willing to work two days for some extra income. Am I making sense?

Last thought. If you are able to get this together, you'll have the benefit of having another laberor for large jobs that might come up.

Sounds good as long as you can find someone to fit those hours.
    Good luck.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Go Getter-
    a high schooler would do good. Young, strong, willing to work those hours (maybe only afternoons or weekends though:( ) and could drive, would not have to bother with a full time job's hours, and would be a possible future full timer....
    just my $0.03 worth :D
  9. Guardian

from Florida

Gogetter & Bushhog

Excellent thoughts. I could really use this person to join the main crew for a Condo complex, then take off and hit some residentials.

As for finding a PT-er, My 1st resource is getting guys from UPS. (this could be a good idea for anyone else trying to find people).
    UPS primarily employs part timers who work either 5pm to 10pm (local sort) or 4am to 9am (pre-load). The benefits of these guys are:

-They are paid a high $$ wage plus benefits so most are only looking for a little "fill-in" work

-Their available hours are good for our work

-They are used to hard working conditions (I have found them to be hard workers that don't complain)

-UPS keeps them PT for years before offering FT (I know some that have been there over 7 years, constantly trying to become FT) -this means less turnover

When that pool runs out, The high schooler sounds possible. You would have to structure their hours around school, but I like the idea that they may become FT later.