2nd Jackson Wheelbarrow broken this year! grrrr

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by FLAhaulboy, Oct 7, 2010.

1. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing a clean out of a local biz last week. Mainly putting light items in the wheel barrow to wheel out to the trailer. Was pushing in up the trailer ramp, when all bolt areas broke off at the plastic at the same time. This is the second (8) cu ft Jackson in 2010 to break...always breaks off where the metal bolts are in the plastic. I replaced the tires with no flat tires, was very careful in handling the barrow taking it off the truck, Treated it like a baby!

Jackson plastic hopper wheelbarrows just plain suck. At $120.00 a pop, one would expect such a barrow to last a long long time. The (8) cu ft is perfect for clean out jobs or moving large quantities of mulch etc, yet the plastic obviously is poor quality at least at the bolt areas.

The hopper should be made out of metal instead of plastic. I think I am going to have to find someone to make me a metal hopper to replace the plastic tub. It might cost me a bundle but imagine such a wheelbarrow lasting for YEARS of regular use daily!

I'll be contacting Jackson & see what they have to say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Replace the bolts and use large fender washers. Problem solved.

3. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

same here that's what i did to mine last spring its holding up so far

4. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

when you replace the bolts, dont tighten them up real tight and use nylon lock nuts..........lowes will take it back and give you a new one.......

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm on my second as well broke the handle on the first on but two of the bolts have pulled through the tub on mine as well. I did green slime the tires, they woludn't hold air from day one.

6. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

exactly what I've done on all three of mine and they look like they've been through hell and back.

7. brix

brix LawnSite Member

I was a mason contractor for some time, no one has had wheelbarrows abused more than a mason. The fender washers will work. Here is another tip if your hauling any weight or rough stuff in them. Put a piece of plywood under the tub using longer bolts upon purchase. When someone throws something heavy in it doesn't pierce it.

8. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

brentwood is in a class by itself........

10. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

You need to get the steel tub. I think they only come in single wheel though.