Lawn Care Forum banner

2nd Jackson Wheelbarrow broken this year! grrrr

10K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  grassman177 
#1 ·
I was doing a clean out of a local biz last week. Mainly putting light items in the wheel barrow to wheel out to the trailer. Was pushing in up the trailer ramp, when all bolt areas broke off at the plastic at the same time. This is the second (8) cu ft Jackson in 2010 to break...always breaks off where the metal bolts are in the plastic. I replaced the tires with no flat tires, was very careful in handling the barrow taking it off the truck, Treated it like a baby!

Jackson plastic hopper wheelbarrows just plain suck. At $120.00 a pop, one would expect such a barrow to last a long long time. The (8) cu ft is perfect for clean out jobs or moving large quantities of mulch etc, yet the plastic obviously is poor quality at least at the bolt areas.

The hopper should be made out of metal instead of plastic. I think I am going to have to find someone to make me a metal hopper to replace the plastic tub. It might cost me a bundle but imagine such a wheelbarrow lasting for YEARS of regular use daily!

I'll be contacting Jackson & see what they have to say.

See less See more
#4 ·
when you replace the bolts, dont tighten them up real tight and use nylon lock nuts..........lowes will take it back and give you a new one.......

#5 ·
I'm on my second as well broke the handle on the first on but two of the bolts have pulled through the tub on mine as well. I did green slime the tires, they woludn't hold air from day one.

#7 ·
I was a mason contractor for some time, no one has had wheelbarrows abused more than a mason. The fender washers will work. Here is another tip if your hauling any weight or rough stuff in them. Put a piece of plywood under the tub using longer bolts upon purchase. When someone throws something heavy in it doesn't pierce it.

#8 ·
#11 ·
I was thinking of using rubber washers placed on both sides of tub (on metal bolt), to stabilize any jarring effects on the metal bolts. I have several metal (6) cu ft barrows, even a (6) cu ft dual wheel Craftsman wheel barrow, never ever any problems except flat tires occasionally.

I'm just teed off that in this day and age of technology, No body is willing to built a decent wheel barrow. I want a metal (8) cu ft tub on a wheel barrow, not cheapo plastic crap. I was in Tractor Supply yesterday and saw this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...m-and-ranch-10-cubic-foot-wheelbarrow-4431520

Lowes has a (3) month return policy which has expired. Have yet to find any info on what kind of warranty Jackson (Ames True Temper) has thus far.

The Brentwood has a (5) yr warranty.

#12 ·
Screw that. They only have a 6 cube, its over $200. I can get the 10 Cu.ft. Jackson with flat free tires for $89 and just fix it with some big ass washers if it breaks.

#16 ·
I have three wheelbarrows a true temper single wheeled 6 cubic a 8 cubic true temper two wheeled and an heavy duty contractor grade 6 cubic single wheeled dont know the brand they all worked good for me i like the two wheel for mulching jobs and the single wheel for rock and hauling debris out like hedge clippings,tree trimmings,leaves dead branches and limbs never tried the jacksons out.

#17 ·
if the thing is no good and your over your three month warranty,buy the exact same unit,and return your broken one a week later .Then ,modify your new one with the large fender washers,and a rubber or wood support under the tub .It might not be the most ethical way to handle this,but you payed for a premium tool,and got a crappy tool in its place .

#18 ·
I became friends with a Jackson distributer :cool2: But ill be ordering on withint the next week or so along with some Jackson hand tools.

#19 ·
I think some wheel barrow brands are made like the cheapo bbq grills-not built good to last long. A plastic barrow tub with a metal bolt running thru wood, just sounds sooo wrong! If in I ever win the lottery, I'd like to start a tool business & build my own garden tools and sell them based on "quality" not cheapness.

#21 ·
if the thing is no good and your over your three month warranty,buy the exact same unit,and return your broken one a week later .Then ,modify your new one with the large fender washers,and a rubber or wood support under the tub .It might not be the most ethical way to handle this,but you payed for a premium tool,and got a crappy tool in its place .
Seriously?

That is dishonest IMO. I am getting ready to do a job at my house. I dont have the equipment and am probably going to rent. I had someone tell me "Just go to homedepot and return the used equipment when you are done.

This type of thing will eventually force these places to modify return policies and screw the honest people.

#22 ·
Seriously?

That is dishonest IMO. I am getting ready to do a job at my house. I dont have the equipment and am probably going to rent. I had someone tell me "Just go to homedepot and return the used equipment when you are done.

This type of thing will eventually force these places to modify return policies and screw the honest people.
I agree its dishonest and even said so in my post [actually I said unethical ],but its also wrong of the manufacturer selling something for a premium buck,and it not performing at a reasonable level .If the company gets enough of them returned,then maybe they will fix the crappy product they are selling at a premium price instead of screwing the honest people who bought the junk .

#24 ·
The ultimate in wheelbarrow construction is the steel tray double lapped wheel barrow. (Below is just one link to a double lapped W/B)

http://www.metalforms.com/concreteFormingProductsDetails.asp?cat=Wheelbarrows&ID=6&pID=2

My Dad gave me his old double lapped one. I never saw one before. Damn thing is (35yrs +) in which he is sure about that since he bought it new and used to construct his house in 1975. I sh*t you not!

He says he stored it in the back of his garage in Illinois for years. Replaced a couple tires since then but still the original handles! No repairs to the tray, no reamed out holes or ones from rust either. I own it but still can't believe it myself.

Screw the plastic POS trays. Same with the flat-free tires. Those tires give so much rolling resistance under load, making the work even harder. I'll never use them for sod work or any thing else for that matter. Cheap tools cost you more $$ in the long run.

#25 ·
#26 ·
none of those even compare to the one in the link i posted from cariola. theirs has NO wood in it for frame, it is all aluminium and though light, super strong. look at the video of the 1600 lb boulder dropped into it without damage etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.