2nd Mailing of Flyers, Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LB1234, Mar 26, 2005.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Okay, I sent ~850 flyers last month between three different townships.

~20 flyers were sent to one township with commercial establishments of my choosing. I received 1 hit, provided the quote, like what they saw, told me between myself and another company, asked for reference so hopefully they'll be getting back to me anyday now.
    ~630 flyers were sent to another township. I received 3 hits so far. One I locked up for the year, another I didn't hear from (I purposely priced high...PITA yard), and another I'm setting up an appointment to go over a landscape job with on Monday since we were rained/snowed out this past week.
    ~200 flyers were sent to the third township. Not a singe phone call.

I plan on sending out a second set of flyers this week using the same list. Well, in your opinion, would you bother re-sending to the township that you got absolutely no hits with? By not sending to this township I could save $75 in postage...plus have another 200 flyers to use to broaden my area if the second mailing doesn't give us our targeted customers this year.

Would just like to know what you think about this. Thanks. LB :waving:

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That's a tough call. I had planned on sending the same flyers to residentials in the month of March, April and May. These are going in 4 different neighborhood newsletters. After the April edition goes out, I will re-think my May plans. More than likely I will not do May's mailings in the newsletters that I get a low response rate from. I will target another area (or two) and these will be hand delivered.

Most marketing experts will tell you that a piece of media like this needs to be in front of somebody 3 to 7 times before they will remember you, so that is why I tell you "it's a tough call".

3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yea i hear you we just sent out 20,000 direct mailings, they will hit on tuesday or wednesday. I will let you know how that goes. At least it will be 55-60 deg which it has been 30's. As far as which city to send it out to i would hit the citys again.

Jason

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason has a point about the weather. Virginia's a bit warmer than Jersey, but not by a lot. I sent 2,000 mailers out about a week and a half ago, have got seven calls, which I think is good considering how cool it has been around here.

This mailer offers $20 off the first invoice if they call me by March 31, though, so there's still time.

Walker's comment about repeat exposure is also pertinent. If you really want to do business in that market of 200 homes, try it again. As far as saving postage, ask yourself what sort of return on investment you're expecting and ask yourself if saving money now might not cost you later.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks to everyone.

I think I'm going to try the 'no-hit' town again. I'll plan to mail out by Wednesday to have it arrive by the weekend...weather beginning of this week will not be good. If I get absolutely nothing from the 200 homes then I think I may stop with them (???? I'll probablly post again...LOL ????) and just broaden the area of the other 2nd town.

I just hope my timing is better...last time I mailed them we had three snow storms within seven days...not many people thinking about their lawns or landscape at that time. What did make me feel good was a phone-call from a potential client last week...which told me she kept the flyer around and waited to call.

6. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I am kinda in the same boat, I have 1200 out there and only a handfull of calls,mostly because of a freak dusting o snow, I am going to try again this weekend for monday delivery