2nd question on engine starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Natural Impressions, May 9, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I had this question about a week ago and restoreRob did help me , It's just more of a problem. I have a 48" bobcat with a kawasaki fb460v engine. In the mornings it seems to have a problem starting but once it is started it is fine for the rest of the day. RestoreRob told me to adjust the butterfly in the carb which I did and it did work. It sat over the weekend and when I started it this morning I checked again to make sure the butterfly was still closed and it was but it didn't want to start(pulled rope about 7-10 times). I had to wait a few mintutes to make sure it wsn't flooded and use a little starter fluid to get it running and the it was fine for the rest of the day. Just to tell you it has recently been cleaned, carb, new spark plug, oil change.....I still have to put a new gas filter on it but the one on it now seem pretty clean. Any ideas????
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check this Trouble Shooting flow chart out and see if you run across anything then let us know.

Good Luck

FB460 Trouble Shooting 1.JPG

FB460 Trouble Shooting 2.JPG
  3. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I beleive we had a similar engine on our Woods CM 36 back when I lived at home. The carb would sometimes flood after the mower was tilted, say to clean the deck. If you have a fuel shutoff, try using that and see if it helps.
  4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Poor Compression?
    Once it starts with starting fluid, gets hot and expands, will run the rest of the day?
  5. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

Yes....once I get it running it is fine for the rest of the day. In the summer when it is warm out I don't have this problem. Always starts.