2nd resistance after compression?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by opt101, Feb 13, 2006.

1. opt101

opt101 LawnSite Member

Hi, I have a Brings 14.5 287707 and it seems after I get the valves set and put the plug back in, i get compression at top dead center, and as i turn it by hand when I get to the started section i get a 2nd resistance, very hard to turn. The starter wont turn it over, voltage is correct, not batt issue, has new starter, if I make it so the exhaust valve is pushed open a tad and start it it will start fine and then the muffler gets cherry red. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When you adjusted the valves did you put a small screw driver in the spark plug hole and rotate the piston down the cylinder 1/4" past TDC compression stroke ?

3. opt101

opt101 LawnSite Member

yes, i just double checked, samething, after the plug goes in, i get the 2nd resistance. I gapped exhaust at .006 and intake at .004.... ? any ideas

4. Restrorob

Well, My service manual states 5 to 7 on both intake and exhaust. It could be the compression release you are feeling when rotating by hand. If the valves are adjusted properly and it still wont turn over it could be firing at the wrong time (sheared flywheel key).

5. opt101

opt101 LawnSite Member

thats what i thought, i took off the flywheel nut and looked at it, it looked in place, nothing out of line... like i said if the exhaust valve stays open a tad, it will kick over, that second resistance seems to keep it back... bent valves? Not sure im stumped..

6. Restrorob

The only other thing I can think of is a possible problem with the mechanical compression release on the camshaft (Sticking or hanging up)......
    Not trying to be wise but I have seen people get the valves mixed up on these....Exhaust is the top one and intake is the bottom one.

7. opt101

opt101 LawnSite Member

yes I have the valve placements correct... hmmmm, How would one go about fixing that?

8. Restrorob

Remember I can't see or hear what this engine is doing so all I can do is suggest things from past experiences. The engine will need to be removed from the equipment, Oil drained and sump (oil pan) removed, Then rotate the crank with the plug out to align the two timing dots on the cam and crank then the cam can be removed for inspection.

9. opt101

opt101 LawnSite Member

is it possible for this motor to jump timing? If the key is in tack? I thought it was gear to gear?

10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I fought one of these for a while once. Turned out the valves were set too loose.