1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2nd story window boxes...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zman9119, Aug 28, 2006.

1. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a request to install drip irrigation into multiple 2nd story window boxes for a client. I have a spot where I can tap into the mainline and install a new valve and wiring is already there so that will not be a problem.

It would be almost a 20ft vertical raise for the line, then runs of anywhere between 20 to 100 ft across and around this house to the boxes. The pressure is 60 psi where the connection would be made.

Now the questions. Is this even possible? :hammerhead: First idea was to use Rain Bird black stripe tubing but the pressure loss would be too high. SO what would everyone else recommend? PVC? Poly? Nothing? Run and hide or is this do-able?

(its monday and my head already hurts :dizzy: )
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sure it's something you can do. Figure 10 psi lost in a 20 foot lift, so a 40 psi regulator would duplicate what a 30 psi regulator does at ground level.
  3. And make sure your liability insurance is paid up....
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, how often to you get to use a cherry picker doing irrigation work?
  5. windowboxmaster

windowboxmaster LawnSite Member

There's got to be an easier way to water those window boxes than running that irrigation line that far. I think I've seen some simple window box self-watering kits on amazon that sit in the container. You may want to offer this suggestion to the client.
  6. Oh I didn't realize this was a self promoting post. Good luck getting this past the mods.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ten points for Texas.:clapping:
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

fimco's thread the other day will show all..
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Will listen to you as experience is posted, otherwise stay in the background.:hammerhead: