1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2nd Time around

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, Oct 10, 2000.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I will bid my first job today,I hope I can use what I've learned from you guys and stick to my guns on my price. They already expect the first time to be more and if they take my bid could be a full time customer next spring. I did this 10 years ago with the wrong equipment now I have better stuff and want to make it work. So please wish me luck.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good luck! just make them an offer they can't refuse...like do business with you OR you'll call your first cousin Little Italy!

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck this time around. Don't be all that rigid on price though, sounds like you need some work so be willing to negotiate some, just to let them know your a great guy!!!!!Then let your new equipment and quality get them running to the phone to call all their friends.

4. scottb

Well they took my bid. Its less than a half acre only want mowing and trimming grass is tall though. I will probaly have to mow twice but should still come in under 2hrs. If they like my work more to come,also they are very active in my church so could be very good for business.
  5. LazerZ101

LazerZ101 Banned

Less than 2 hours? What kinds of mowers are you running? Less than 1/2 acre should take less than 10-15 minutes with a walk-behind/ZTR. Not knocking ya, just curious.

BTW, congrats on your new "career". I just started this year fresh with just one LazerZ, and a walk behind. I had 10 lawns within a week, and currently I am finishing up the season with 48 yards/week! Not bad for my first year.
    Again, I wish you good luck!

6. scottb

Guess I should have stated its a clean up also. Grass is tall so going slow first. Walked the property throughly and should have no trouble. Lady broke her foot husband let yard go. I gave them a hig price they took it.
    As for the mower Im using a 48" Toro Proline (luv that T bar). Could maybe go faster but want feel the place out first. And Congrats to you LazerZ101 sounds like your doing great.
  7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

LazerZ101- how did you acquire so many lawns in one season? A bunch of referrals from just a couple of customers or a really good flyer? I would just like to know as I would like to advance my company next year and possibly double the number of lawns I mow. I currently maintain 30 residentials and 8 commercials. I also plan on taking on a full time employee. Thanks for any help.