2WD Pickup truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by joed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I do lawncare part-time during the spring/summer/fall. I don't do any snowplowing. I'm looking to get a new truck this winter. Would a 2WD with a locking differential or limited slip be o.k. for my use? Does a locking differential work well in snow. We usually get 4-6" each snowstorm. The extra cost to go to a 4X4 for most manufacturers is $4K or so. Thanks.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Are you looking at brand new ? what size of pick up ?

You live in Eastern Canada and have snow/winter for 4 months of the year I wouldn't fool around with a 2wd pickup truck. If your going with a 450/550 you can get away with 2wd but a regular 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton buy a 4x4.

Pick up trucks are so light on the azz end you can get stuck on anything.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

if you dont do much driving in the snow it should be fine...just make sure you have good tires and plenty of weight in the bed ex. sand bags or something to give you more weight and traction
  4. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2wd long bed f150 I just put 10 50 pound sandbags in the contractor box and put it at the back of the truck and then move the regular toolbox back butted up against that. I also air down the tires as well. We just for 5 inches and I had no problems and I'm driving a 5-speed. As long as you are confortable in snow and know what you are doing you'll be fine. It's the idiots that lose their minds when they see snow that cause the problems. I was driving all over the place in the last snow storm, driving past idiots with 4wd that were stuck. I just laugh and wave at them.
  5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

it really comes down to a pretty simple question if your not plowing -

Can other people drive 2wd rear wheel drive trucks, vans, or cars in your erea?

I'm asuming yes. I think I used to keep only 300 lbs of sand bags in the back of the 04 chevy 1500 i used to have, my drive way a the time was 300 feet long, never plowed or snowblowed and about 100ft of it was going up at around 30% slope. The truck did it no problem with 6" of fresh snow. It got a little tricky once the snow was packed down and iced over.

4 wheel drive will come in handy if you have to pull your truck up in a muddy area to load or unload brush and stuff like that
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You are fooling yourself. 4wd doesnt cost that much more, and if you live in an area that recieves regular snow in winter, I wouldn't be without it. If you are on here asking if you 'really' need it then you should probably have it.
  7. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

It snows like 3-4 times where I live and I drive my 2wd everywhere when 4wd idiots are getting stuck.. Do I need it?
  8. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there are a few ways to look at this. Most maufacturers offer garbage limited slip systems, at least my Ford does. Some are now offering electronic locking differerntials for an extra cost($300-500), but you may have to order this in a 2wd pickup. The next and maybe the most important part in the winter traction situation is tires. 2wd's are not coming with with anything more than a street tire. So now you invest in better tires, lets say just the rears ($300-500). If you pick up a truck without a good limited slip you will have to buy one and pay a shop to do it. Depending on the locking differential you are looking at $700-1000 for the part and installation. Also fully locking (not limited slip) differentials are really bad in icy conditions and actually cause more slipping at speed. So for $1500 or more you can upgrade a 2wd. So now you may get closer to that 4k figure, would have been better just to buy 4wd. I know there is someone who will say that you dont need a 4wd and that a 2wd can go anywhere a 4x4 can. I live in a snowy area and I think I use my 4wd more in the summer months at the landscape dump as that place is a mess. But when a foot of snow falls the 4wd will shine when you need to go up a slight snow filled incline. The 2wd....spinning tires and slipping sideways, I know I had one. How many times are you in that situation????

The other consideration, do you NEED a brand new truck? I bought a 2006 in 2008, saved a bundle. Semi loaded truck at nearly half the price of new. Now you can get some creature and capability comforts. Your choice. I think I would sacrifice buying a used truck that is more capable than a new one with less for the same price. But only you know what you need. If you are only doing lawn care and never venture off the road 2wd will serve the business end of that fine. I'd still buy used because the truck wont lose a ton of value when you buy it. That way if the 2wd isnt working for you the chance of being able to sell it is better. I know this because my trucks value right now is way above what I owe on it. Just put all your pros and cons together and make your decision.

Again just my thoughts
  9. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice. It's very good and I appreciate it. I think I'll go with the 4X4. As for used, I have no problems going with a used. It's just that all three, Dodge, GM, Ford have such big rebates up here that the cost of a good used truck is not that much less than a brand new one. That's why I was considering new. I guess the next question would be whether to go GM, Ford, or Dodge. I like all 3. They are also pretty much priced the same. I'd like to get the truck that's the most fuel efficient. That would leave me looking at GM's 5.3L/6 speed auto, Dodge's 5.7L Hemi/5 speed auto, or Ford's 3.7L or 3.5L ecoboost. If I were to go used, I'd pretty look at Ford's 4.6L/6 speed combo from 2009 and 2010. Any thoughts on any of these combinations?
  10. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the debate between trucks depends on what you like. Ford people are pro Ford, Chevy people, pro Chevy, etc.... With the half tons I know that the 05 F150 I had drove like a dream. I've driven Fords all my life and probably will continue to. Understandable if the rebates are too good to pass by for buying new. Trucks, fuel effieciency, and capability really don't go hand in hand but a 2wd 1/2 ton should get you good mileage. With the extended cab 4x4 150 I used to own I averaged 15mpg with the 5.4. Make sure that the engine/truck combo will be adequate enough to pull the trailer and your equipment. With only lawn mowing you should be fine, but make sure. If you ever expanded into larger stuff you'll need the capacity of a larger and more powerful truck. I'm glad I upgraded to the 3/4ton but I do more landscaping and haul a heavy trailer. But I only drive the truck during business and a car otherwise so I am not dealing with the 8-11mpgs all the time.