1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2wd snow problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rosarioslawncutters, Feb 9, 2010.

1. rosarioslawncutters

rosarioslawncutters LawnSite Member

hi..

i have a 89 extended cab 2wd with 235/75/16 BG GOODRICH TIRES M+S BUT MY TRUCK SUCKS IN THE SNOW..IS ADDING WEIGHT HELPS? IF YES HOW MUCH WEIGHT? THE TRUCK IS A 2500 3/4..I SHOULD OF GOTTEN A 4 WHEEL DRIVE BUT I AM JUST STARTING MY LAWN CARE BIZ AND FOR $400 THAT I PAYED FOR THE TRUCK WHO CAN COMPLAIN...

THANKS

GOD BLESS AMERICA

2. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've added 100lbs to the bed of my Chevy S10. Good tread also helps on the tires.

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

The 100lbs or whatever you get from the sandbags or whatever is totally pointless. Just makes for solid frozen 50lb flying missiles in the bed of your truck when you slam on the brakes. You need a lot more weight that what can reasonably be put in there. Just gotta deal with it or dont drive until roads are clear.

4. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want good traction, you should put at least 1k# in that thing, if possible, at or behind the rear wheels

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

yeah load it up. experiment with different amount of weights to see what works best for you

6. BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C LawnSite Senior Member

Tire chains ? or snow tires in the rear should help...

7. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

Still need a lot of weight!:weightlifter:

8. ProcsLC

ProcsLC LawnSite Member

Being from NY we know all about snow and 2 wheel drive trucks!

The best advice is go to home depot, buy (12) 70lb sand bags... Then, go to the lumber section and buy 2 8" wide boards to make a box within your truck, if you have a bedliner there will already bee side slots molded into them so you can just cut the boards across and drop them in. Then make a full row of 6 and double stack them over the wheel wells... Make sure your tires are properly inflated (usually 35psi) This will assist you with driving in the snow...

9. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

Its amazing what 200 pounds can do and don't forget to fill up before a snow storm. A full tank weighs alot more than a half tank.

10. wannabamower

wannabamower LawnSite Member

If you don't want to buy sandbags you can use fire wood. I have a 02 ext cab GMC 2wd I start filling it up until it starts to sag. It gets around pretty good.