1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2wd vs. 4wd

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, May 17, 2008.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Which do you have and why?

Also, what is the dif. in mpg?

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have 4x4 but I move snow and use it off road for hunting and fishing and things like that.

I have owned two wheeled drives and like them for better mileage, fewer things to fix. 2 to 4 mpg better.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

all trucks are 2 x4. NO reason for 4x4 in the south
  4. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

there IS a reason for 4x4 in the south. there are some places on my dad's rice farm he couldn't go if he didn't have 4x4.
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

4x4 if you want to play.2x4 for work.with gas prices going up its too much money for a 4x4 for work.
  6. Saltydawg

Saltydawg LawnSite Member

I run 4x4 because I plow in the winter.

I have an 07 f250 and a 78 Chevy, both 4x4 and setup for plow use in the winter. Used to have a 74 chevy 2x4 and it was a little better on mileage but only under light load conditions.

If you start hauling stuff around the fuel mileage difference isnt very significant. Weight is what kills fuel mileage.
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Haha, I used to think that 4X4's were for people who want to play. In two years, I have used my 4 wheel drive several times to get me where I need to go. I don't need it for work, but it sure has helped me out. I don't need it often, but when I do need it, I am glad I have it.
  8. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I like having the added security of a 4x4. the only time I use it for work is when I go to the woodland resource to dump debris. After a rain it is usually about a foot of mud to drive through.

It does come in handy though loading a boat on a steep ramp, going through sugar sand offroad, etc...
  9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

with the small diesel trucks 4x4 is helpful because they don't have enough weight on the drive wheels, being front heavy you'll get stuck up on wet grass (and I have) now with dump trucks and trucks that are larger/heavier they're is no need.
  10. Brian Hay

Brian Hay LawnSite Member

I drive an F-350 4x4 but it is way overkill for a daily driver for me. I'm going to get a small 4x4 for the daily stuff like packing fuel and tools and just bring out the big guy when it's needed. Our thing is extreme terrain access solutions so I'm going to build a little truck purpose built for that....great excuse to build a cool toy eh :rolleyes: