2X4 or 4X4 dump for plowing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tjcezar, Sep 13, 2003.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am looking to buy a a dump truck and would like some info. Does anyone have a 2X4 dump they use for plowing snow? I see alot of them for sale but wonder how good they are in the snow. I definately need a dump but would like to also have a second truck for plowing and there are more 2X4 dumps with plows for sale and they are much cheaper. Basically do think a 2X4 dump is worth getting?
  2. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

We have two 2 wheel drive F 450 turbo diesel mason dumps. They both have 8.5 foot westerns and they each have a stainless Swenson spreader. Fully loaded they plow as if they were 4 wheel drive. When we had the 30+inches during the presidents day storm, we didn't have any problems. Our skidsteer got stuck more than our mason dumps......

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

Here in buffalo we get some serious snow. So get the 4/4 don't waste your money with a 4/2.also the 4/4 has a lot higher resale value.You get what you pay for.
  4. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we have 2x4 f450 psd. with traction tires and a pallet of deicer or a v box in the back, they do fine. we run 9' plows on them. they all made it thru the blizzard last year.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2x4 with a locking rear, 1 1/2 yrd sander and it won't push up hill. Even 2" of snow gives me trouble. On flat ground, its a tank.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

2 wheel is ok on flat parking lots 4*4 is a better all around truck for snow less chance of getting stuck i had a f-450 and it would get stuck in my driveway with no weight on it if it was full of weight it would go ok but would not turn and i had no plow on it didnt think it was worth the money get a 4*4 u will like it better
    just my opinion
  7. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

i forgot to mention. we only do commercial parking lots and roadways as well. No driveways or steep hills...
  8. phillylawnking1

phillylawnking1 LawnSite Member