3,000 hour oil change on a Kohler!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I did the 3,000 hour oil change on the older Dixie Chopper last night. I'm not sure if it's the extra Amsoil by pass filter, the Donaldson air filter, or just good luck, but it still runs like new. Repair work on this 22 HP Command engine has been an intake manifold gasket and I replaced one module on the electronic ignition. There has been several discussions on which engine is best, Kawasaki, Kohler, ect, ect. I've had both, but this is what I would get in this order on another machine. Yanmar diesel, I feel is the best, have 2 of them, had 3 total. Kohler is number two on my list, I've had 3 of them. Then Kawasaki, I've had 3 of them. The money you save on fuel on a diesel will pay for the machine over the extra years they can last which is a big plus.

The old Kohler is running strong and I'm hoping to get another 1,000 hours or more out of it. :)

2. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Great!!! are you using Amsoil in it or reg. oil and just the filter?I wonder what the most hrs. are on a Kohler. Hope ya get many more hrs. out of her.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

So I guess all you guys that say your lucky if you get thise Kohler's to run 20 hours, well you can shine Eric's up realllllllllly good, take and turn it side ways and.............

Eric, I gurantee this says something about the way you keep up your equipment. I'm sure you do you preventive maintenance, etc on it. I think the people that have all that trouble with their machines are the ones that wait till somethings broke to do the maintenance on them, instead of following a maintenance chart, etc.

Well good luck on your next 1,000 Hours!!

4. Eric ELM

Dixie Chopper deluxe models come with an Amsoil bypass filter on them, plus a regular oil filter. The Amsoil bypass filter filters out dirt as small as 1 micron in size. I use Penzoil and an additive called Tufoil. I've used Tufoil for the past 12 years in all 4 cycle and diesel engines and it seems to work great. The most hours I've heard of getting out of a Kohler is my dealer who also has a lawn maintenance company. He has one with over 6,000 hours on it and has only replaced the rings once, but this is an exception, as he said. Normal hours from what I've heard is 3,000 with an Amsoil filter and coolers, 2,000 without is what DC figures as an average life of the Command. My first DC was the painted model which has no Amsoil filter or coolers, and I got 2,500 out of it before I sold it to a friend, who is still using it to mow his 1.5 acre lawn and a few others and after 2 years, he has had no problems with it. It also had Tufoil used in it and he is using it too. Some guys say additives are no good, but I've had great luck with this additive. :)

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I had a 1992 JD with a 20 hp kohler. Lasted over 2600 hrs. no problems with the engine. Until it died in the end. Just used 10w 30 all its life.

6. Eric ELM

Another 200 hours has been added to the old Chopper and it didn't need any repairs at all in the past 200 hours. Even with this many hours on it, it is more reliable than some brand new mowers I've had in the past.

7. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Now with 3200 hour on your chopper how many miles have you rode?

8. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

I think eric has the trick to have a great kohler engine to last from what he uses how about the others that had problems with their engines?Those that did what did you use for oil on your engines and how bad were your engines?

9. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

While at one of the local dealers a while back, I saw a mowing crew come in. There were two very young adults that came in with a mower that had a Kohler engine that was locked up. (They had two very expensive mowers on their trailer) They said that they had already had lifter problems in the past. Just curious, I asked him about the kind of oil they used etc. When I asked about the frequency of oil changes, He replied "I don't have a schedule I go by, I just change the oil when I think it needs it." I wonder if that had any thing to do with the engine problems?

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

At first i thought you were saying 1st change
    in 3000.da I wish you the same results in
    the future