1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 1/2 acres lawn mower

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by casolorz, Feb 10, 2008.

1. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

We are building our new house on a 3 1/2 acre lot. I plan on doing all the landscaping myself. So I am looking for a lawn mower that can possibly have a front loader, some sort of blade for taking care of the gravel driveway, and of course the occasional aerator, seed spreader, etc.
    What kind of tractor would you recommend? I have looked at the cub cadet 5252 but I am unsure if thats too much or too little. Also what kind of prices should I expect?

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It will be a stop gap solution to get everything in one package.
    The tractor will have to be much larger and it may damage the lawn if you mow year round.
    The cub will never do anything well but cut grass.
    I would suggest to get a nice compact tractor with a Loader and nice Box blade and either a quality lawn tractor like a Kubota or a zero turn mower.
    This will be a purchase that will last you many years.
    The Zero turn mower will really speed up the mowing.
    Depending on the landscape in the 1 to 1.5 hour range were that Cub will take 3 + hours.
  3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kubota BX series sounds perfect for what you need, if you really only want to have one machine. They do a nice job mowing (though not as fast as a ZTR) and they are available with a loader and even a backhoe if you want it. They will handle most landscaping tasks, although not as fast as a big tractor. In a homeowner application they will last forever with proper maintenance. They start at around $10-12K, up to over $16K for the BX24 with the backhoe. For the money they are way more machine than the Cub 5252.
  4. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

Interesting replies. So when it comes to ZTR what is a good mower I should look at? will it be able to pull a few attachments like a seed spreader?
  5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes it looks good wait until you sit on it .:drinkup:

6. Texsun

Texsun LawnSite Member
    from DFW

AWJ hit the nail on the head. I live on 3.5 acres and initially bought a Troybilt rider and beat it to death in about 2 years. Then I got a Kubota BX22 (now the BX24) with a a 60" belly mower, loader, rototiller, box blade and landscape rake - great investment and has never missed a beat. Has been good for most landscaping when it comes to moving/smoothing loose materials. Just doesn't have the grunt or weight to dig. By using the rototiller and the bucket, I could do some leveling - just a slow process. Found I could mow much faster by removing the loader (only takes about 5 minutes) - dropped from 3 hours to about 2 (dozens of trees). A couple of years ago I bought a Kubota ZTR and can now mow in about 1.5 hours. That bucket is one of the most useful "power tools" I have now.
  7. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

deere 2320 with finish mower, loader, blade, tiller, whatever you want. turf or ag tires, whatever you want. primarly mowing, i'd do turf.

if you go tractor route, still gonna need a 21" mower for trimming near house and trees
  8. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

yeah im pretty sure im gonna need a push mower for the front of the house.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good to me.

I also vote for the BX22,23,24. You can find used ones with 300 hours or so for about $9-11K. New ones are around $16k. Its not the greatest at mowing but it will get the job done. Everyone I know who has one, swears by it.
  10. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

5 acres here, built house 3 years ago. Bought Kubota B7800 with bucket, 60" mmm, 5' blade, 5' rototiller, and post hole digger. I have put in driveways, landscaped, and pulled tree stumps after digging some, and put in a lot of fence posts for myself and my neighbors. The Kubota has been the best investment I have made as far as equipment. I used the tractor to mow for the first 3 years, wonderful cut, but too slow for me.
    I just purchased a Kubota ZD331 zero turn mower and couldn't be happier.