1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3-1-2 Ratio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Jul 11, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Almost every University recommends a 3-1-2 ratio fertilzer for bermuda if the soil test results are in the medium range for phosphorus and potassium. Most all of the SCU nitrogen fertilizers are closer to a 10-1-2 ratio. Do fertilzer companies do this to keep the price down? Are P and K levels high in most of the country? They are not around here. What I need is closer to a 1-1-1 ratio, but none of the balanced fertilizers that I have found are slow release. I kind of hate to show up with 13-13-13 because I know some people are going to think " I do it myself next year, if all you need is 13-13-13."
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm finding that 419 uses lots of Phosphorous during the transition out of dormancy each year. Most of my clients have newer homes with soils deficient in P. Most of the time when you see a 419 lawn pushing excessive seedheads, you will find a Phosphorous problem. It just does not like low P.

What generally works is applying a starter fert, 18-24-12, during the April round. The starter I use has a good portion of slow release. Once you have that P down, you can use the 3-1-2 ratios without a problem. If you have your nutrient levels up, you could also use 100% N during the Summer months on occasion. Nitroform 38-0-0 or Lesco 39-0-0 SCU works great in that scenario.

If you need to fix a P problem in the mid season, MAP or DAP is really your best option. View it like an extra application, because you get only a small amount of N from those apps.
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, on the 10-1-2 ratios: most of the companies doing this do not care about nutrient levels to begin with. Just pound it with N and keep the customer from calling.