3.25 Acre Condo Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheGrassGuy, Mar 10, 2004.

1. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I am looking at a condominium complex - 28 units with 3.25 acres of turf. About 1/3 of the turf is in the front yards and will need to be done with a 21" and the back and common areas can be done with my 36". I figure about 45 minutes to trim and 4 hours to mow - solo. I am figuring on a bid of $320. Do my times sound reasonable or am I way off?

I am also bidding for the applications and bed maintenance on this property.

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

If your bidding stuff like that, buy a 60". 4 hours is too long to be competetive on commercial work like that. Remember you are most likely bidding against guys with 60's and 72's. The $200 month you spend on a 60" Z is minimal when you start blowing through stuff twice as fast as your 36". Thats my 2cents.

3. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

There is not a lot of these big jobs around here and definately nothing bigger than a 48" deck. Not even a dealer that carries anything. The city has some larger stuff for sports fields but that is it.

Is the 4 hours about right for the 21" and the 36"? Both are Toro if it makes any difference.

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut a condo complex similar to what your cutting except the one i cut has 20 units and it 4 acres. We get it done in 45 mins with 2 guys - a 60" dixie in the backs and a 44" toro WB in the fronts.

You really have to sit down with these places and see where you are losing time...for instance....my guys were trimming them as if they were individual houses, and i would see him trim all the way around one unit then throw the whip over his shoulder and walk 60 feet to the next unit and do the same thing. i relized this and now he goes in a countinous line doing all the fronts and sides then the backs....cant explain it real well, but it took off about 10 minutes of our time. its just the little stuff like the way you navigate through the property that can increase productivity dramaticaly.

5. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do condos very similar to what you describe. It took me 2 hours to mow/trim. I used a JD M653 for the small yards in front and a JD F-935 for the large common area in back. I charged $125.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well at $320, that comes out to $67 an hour. That doesn't sound too shabby to me...:)

7. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Like Rodfather said, $67 sounds pretty good. I would double check your estimated trim time on 28 units (45 min). That is around 1.5 minutes per unit. Are there sidewalks to edge? What about blowing time also?

8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i think he will be able to get that place done in less than four hours. dont use your 21 on the fronts, it doesnt matter how small you think they are you will be more productive with a 36...for that matter you would be more productive with a weed whip. 45 minutes to weedwhip is a pretty good time.

this would be my breakdown without completely seeing the property and with the current equipment that he has.

mowing 1.5 hours
    trimming 45 minutes
    edging 1/2 hour
    blowing 1/2 hour
    total=3:15 minutes

You could easly cut that number close to half by hiring another person

9. Way to low in my mind .I bet the condo ass is charging each unit a fee of at least $175.00 a month for outside maintence.that would be a total of $4900.Your take is $1280 per month,One rather large condo community should net you at least 18,000 to 20,000.In fact my uncle who lives in south Florida in a average condo gated community he pays over $250. per month for maint and the landscaper makes $1300 per days visit.Bid high you can always counter offer.You always can come down in price but it is hard to raise up.Best of luck hope you get the bid

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet you will be too high . Irregardless of what the tennant pays to the association,you may be a little off. If you get the job you do need a bigger mower. Say a 48 WB. You didnt say how large each front piece is , if they are small you should use the 21 mower on them.