3.3 acres, need advice on mower purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turboimpala, Oct 6, 2006.

1. turboimpala

turboimpala LawnSite Member

I have 3.3 acres and am currently paying someone else to cut my lawn once every 2 weeks. However, the grass grows quickly and I am planning to buy my own mower and cut the grass once per week since I will save money as compared to paying someone to cut it once per week.

I was looking at a Scag Tiger Cub 48" wide ZTR for $5800 but this afternoon I discovered that Sears has Swishers with similar horsepower and widths for much less money.

I'm concerned with long term quality and speed of mowing.

I believe the Swisher has a top speed of 6 mph and the Scag a top speed of 10, but can I actually mow faster than 6 mph?

How much longer will the Scag last without breaking compared to the Swisher?

Any other disadvantages to buying a Swisher besides mowing speed and long term quality?

I will attach a picture of my front lawn for reference.
    Thanks.

lawn.jpg

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy a department store mower, you will get department store service! Buy Commercial!!

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you're going to buy a swisher that's exactly the sound you should get used to after cutting 3.3 acres for a while..........................swisssshhhhhh..............money down the drain.

The scag will outlast you if it's only cutting 3.3 acres per week.

Are you prepared to spend 2.5 hours per week cutting and trimming that lawn?

4. lobsiger

lobsiger LawnSite Member

I think you need to answer to yourself many questions.
    Do you have the time to mower once a week?
    What do you gain by doing the mowing yourself vs. hiring someone?
    Is it wide open, will you be building something down the road, adding trees, planting beds and landscaping?

Residential mowers are residential mowers. Made for once in a while mowing on smaller lots of an acre or less. MFG's in that area come and go. I live in a development where most everyone purchased Sears or White lawn tractors. Once they hit 5 years or so they spend a lot of time in the shop. Guys who purchased commercial grade stuff their tractors/ZTR's run and run and look as nice as the day they bought them.

If you plan on having this land more than five years, get a good commerical mower. The usual suspects in the top tier that most folks here in this forum agree on are Scag, Hustler and Exmark. Dealer rep is very important, in some case more important than the brand of mower.

I'd get a larger deck than 48". 60" would be better unless you have lots of tight areas with beds, trees, etc.

After spending the summer looking at mowers, I'm about to buy a either a Mini Z with a 52" deck or a Hustler Z with a 54" deck. I have many tight spaces I need to mow so I want a smaller deck. I like Scag and Exmark also. Came down to the local dealer with a great rep and a fair price.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

How much are you paying to cut and trim,how long does it take to do the job.

6. turboimpala

turboimpala LawnSite Member

Right now I'm paying $80.
    It takes 2 guys about 3 hours to mow, weed wack and blow off the driveway.
    They're mowing the lawn once every 2 weeks.
    At this time I think I've decided to let him continue mowing for the rest of this year and I'll decide in the spring if I want to try mowing it myself.
    I realize if I mow it myself even if I save money it will take a lot of my personal time to do the job.
    I looked at Swishers at Sears today and wasn't impressed with the quality as compared to the Scag.
    So if I do decide to get my own lawnmower in the spring I will definitely go with a commercial grade mower.

7. lobsiger

lobsiger LawnSite Member

$80 for six man hours of work? that works out to 13.33 per hour. I say that was a very good deal and they provide the equipment.

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

3 hours for two men cmon are you sure you want to spend the cash and go thru the headache of cutting,we all make cutting grass look easy but it's hard work.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Well scags at the top of my list,if you have your head and heart set go for it.

10. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Go with the scag but like the other poster stated move up to the wildcat with a 60" deck.
    -TAZ