1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3.3 acres, need advice on ZTR purchase

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by turboimpala, Oct 6, 2006.

1. turboimpala

turboimpala LawnSite Member

I have 3.3 acres and am currently paying someone else to cut my lawn once every 2 weeks. However, the grass grows quickly and I am planning to buy my own mower and cut the grass once per week since I will save money as compared to paying someone to cut it once per week.

I was looking at a Scag Tiger Cub 48" wide ZTR for $5800 but this afternoon I discovered that Sears has Swishers with similar horsepower and widths for much less money.

I'm concerned with long term quality and speed of mowing.

I believe the Swisher has a top speed of 6 mph and the Scag a top speed of 10, but can I actually mow faster than 6 mph?

How much longer will the Scag last without breaking compared to the Swisher?

Any other disadvantages to buying a Swisher besides mowing speed and long term quality?

I will try to attach a picture of my front lawn.

2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i would get the new ariens 48" top speed of 9 mph. also look at dixon and do a google search with residential zero turn mowers. o wouldent get a commercial they are meant to be started every day not once a week. nice lawn by the way.
  3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Commercial mowers are made to last about 2000 hours.
    residential mowers usually only last about 500 hours from the box stores like sears and lowes.

In between the two are the dealer only residential units which last about 1000 hours. Gravely makes an excellent @home series if you want a good example of this. They are sometimes refered to as pro-sumer units.

At 3300.00 MSRP it should cut your lawn and keep your wallet happy.

this one will set you back 5000.00 but some like to get in a big hurry to cut thier grass. Personally if your gonna lay out 5 g's then consider a commercial unit.

Bigger mowers do cut faster but also carry a bigger price tag and cost more to maintain and they take up a bit more space as well.
  4. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Like I posted on your other thread. Buy comercial and for that size lot go with a 60" deck.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

You want a 60" deck for 3.3 acres...I just talked to a homeowner as he was perched atop his Gravely ZTR...Said he does his 3+ acres in under 2 hours...LUVS the machine too...As for the comment:
    that is just one of the most ridiculous statements I hve read...A motor is a motor...it really does not care how often you start it...nothing in/on it changes...and also the comment
    I guess thats why my 7 year old box store Craftsman is still kickin and taking names...WELL OVER 1000 hrs!!! I just put another 200 hrs on it this summer...part time...
  6. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Is there anything else you want to do with it (machine) other then cut grass?

I only ask since I had the same questions about 3 years ago. I said I did not wnat a machine that all it did was grass.

So I ended up with a Kubota BX22 (same as 23 adn 24). Talk about a multi-taker....

Something to think about.
  7. Lumberjack

I was talking averages, yours is the exception and not the norm. I have seen equipment trashed in less then a month. It all depends on how well you care for it.

On 60" decks , just remember that the bigger deck also costs more

Nice mower but your talking a starting price of 8 grand which is a lot more then turboimpala really said he wanted to spend. There is a point were he should consider getting the junk mower simply because it is cheap enough to replace every few years.

el cheapo @ 1000.00 every 5 years

year 1 1000.00
    year 6 1000.00
    year 11 1000.00
    year 16 1000.00

Prosumer @ 3000.00 every 20 years

and this didnt account for inflation but Im sure you get the point. 20 years can also bring a lot of changes to a persons life as well and for many its a major point to consider.
  8. Steelratt

Steelratt LawnSite Member
    from CNY

Keep in mind that the commercial stuff generally does a better job of cutting, and can complete the same job faster due to higher cutting speeds.
  9. Lumberjack

Very true. In the end its an individual choice with no single right answer for everyone.
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about around your area but around me there is a abundance of barely used Lazer 60's. If they have 500 hours on them, they still have enough in them to last you the rest of you life. I know that they are commercial and have that grade productivity along with the other commercial perks. Just look on ebay and type in exmark or scag, you will find tons of what I'm talking about.