3/4 acre How long to cut with a 36" WB?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cavaselis, Jul 11, 2005.

1. cavaselis

cavaselis LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner looking for a nice WB(Maybe toro) and was wondering how long it would take to cut my yard ballpark.Do I need the fancy flaoting deck and hydro drive?

I use a 21" honda now would a 42" WB be twice as fast or alot more than twice?
  2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Speed depends on a lot of things. Grade, obstacles, turf condition...etc. I would say that a 36" WB should be able to mow at least twice as fast as your honda.
  3. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am LawnSite Member

I got a 36" Exmark Metro gear drive fixed deck this year, and compared to my 21" Snapper, I cut the job in half timewise. This really does depend on the layout of beds, obstacles, amount of trimming required, but I will say the 36" eats up turf and mulches like a champ. I spend a little more time with the string trimmer, and even take out the 21" for some trim work too, but overall a great timesaver. No need to ever mow twice, and to boot, it looks alot better!
  4. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Using 6 mph as an average and using an open 3/4 acre, it should take you about 35 minutes with a 36" mower.
  5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

sorry..... 0.35 hrs.
  6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

depends. i've em that size that are a major pain in the arse that take around an hour and i've got others the same size that are around 1/2 hr.

my worst yard in this size range is my own, i'm asshamed to say. the grass is nice but i've got way too many obstacles for such a small area. I've got a garage, a pool, a fence, a dozen trees, a dug well, a dry well, a shed, and of course the house driveway and sidewalk. i use my 36" and it takes me almost an hour for mowing only.
  7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

36" should be plenty, you dont need hydro or a float deck. You only need float deck if your changing your height alot