3/4" Backflow or 1" Backflow? GPM

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The actual maximum flow ratings for backflow preventers matches that of water meters of the same size, and that is way off the charts compared with what flow rates you will actually be working with. You can get away with high flow rates in PVBs and DCVAs much more than you can with RPZs, which will spit water from the relief valve when a downstream valve slams shut.

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

So can someone explain a little more to me... If you use a 3/4 backflow on a 5/8" meter, what size pipe is feeding the backflow, and which leaves the backflow? All 1" with 3/4" fittings for the backflow?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Not enough information. Variables include length and diameter of the supply line going into the meter, and from the meter to your point of connection.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get it, the price of a 1" vs 3/4" asembly is minor, it should be run from the setter in brass and a sch 80 mip to tie into the downstream main. Anyone who runs 3/4" mainline joins the hall of pikers and hacks. I wrote the regs for my purveyor and specified unions on both ends.

5. Wet_Boots

The price of brass being what it is, I could see a 3/4-inch full-port system shutoff valve and 3/4-inch DCVA with a 12 gpm flow. Of course, it used to be that most 3/4-inch DCVAs were using the same body casting as the 1-inch ones.

6. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We install 3/4 and run a 1" main. We limit all systems to 12gpm. It's had worked great the last 3,000 times we've done it...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We don't use dcva's. Cant , illegal here. Difference between 3/4 and 1" pvb is so small its not worth stocking more parts. Not to mention my fingers don't fit inside a 3/4 to rebuild.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Can't do dcvas here either.
    3/4" PVbs are the most used here, then 1" PVB, then 3/4" RP. Rarely see a 1" RP.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Although I will admit when a rp fails and it will, we replace em with dcva's

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously, you have no adult supervison, that is crossing the line. :rolleyes: