3/4" Gravel for Raised Patios.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Mar 3, 2011.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

For years we have been using CR6, (Crusher Run) as our primary fill for elevated patio surfaces. But in recent years I am hearing more people using 3/4 angular gravel. Some people I have tallked to said they then put down 4" of CR6, then their bedding sand. Others said they use the 3/4" all the way up to their bedding sand layer. In all cases the use of fabric between each layer is stressed.

Does anyone use this method or a similar one? and what sort of results have you seen with it? I imagine the benefits would come more into play the higher the elevated patio is.

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

We use 3/4 for our patio then a layer of 500x then proceed as normal. If the patio is raised more than 2feet then you should use 1 1/2 inch until you get the layer of 3/4 to be less than 18 inches. We have not tried flowable fill yet but might this year after seeing it done on a few jobs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I stick with procedures used for road construction. If an area needs built up for a roadway - you don't hear of them using 3/4 aggregate to fill.

And not sold on flowable fill. It's very messy and it's expensive.

Posted via Mobile Device

4. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

i am a fan of flow-fill in some instances you can save a good bit of time and labor ($$$) by spending 60$ a yard vs 40 to 45 a yard and it is easier to place and work with.