3/4 inch rock pricing help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NateinAtl, Aug 8, 2003.

1. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey guys,

I have a job that requires a lot of hand work and I don't know what to charge. I am just looking for a labor charge.

There will be 70 yards of 3/4 inch rock delivered in 3 piles around the property. About half of it will be spread in a dog run by a skid steer and the other half will be in 3 to 4 foot beds around the perimeter of the house. Not too many plants to work around, but there will be some. Because of the concrete patios and such, about 35 yards wwill have to be done by wheel barrows. What would youi guys charge for just the labor of the 35 yards spread around the house with wheelbarrows?

Thanks for your help!!

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

70 "yards", is that 140,000 lbs? we sell by the ton. i am told a yard =a ton. thats alot of stone. what kind of 3/4 " rock are we talkin about? we usually charge labor at $100 per ton, but never did a job that big.

3. NateinAtl

from Atlanta

From what I understand, the conversion rate is 1.3 therefore 10 yards equal 13 tons. So we are looking at about 91 tons of rock. There area to be covered is about 6000 square feet. As I said, half of it will be a dog run and we can spread that with a skid steer. My concern is for the half that has to be done by hand. Thanks for your help

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Wow...whatever price you come up with, it is too low. That is alot of stone to spread by hand.....it will be alot tougher than you think.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

rock is heavy. i could retire on this job, or die. tell me exactly how many ton have to be wheelbarrowed, and how far, and ill give u a price

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You should have come up with a per yard charge.
    Stone cost plus labor.(I'm thinking around $45/yard labor)
    Evens out the easy work,and the hard wheelbarrow spreads.
    Stone is hard work.

7. NateinAtl

from Atlanta

8. Mark Koenig

Mark Koenig LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if you got your answer on the 57 stone yet...but we occasionally have to move it by hand because the area isn't accessible by the excavator or skid steer...and of course if you can't get that equipment to the site it's pretty dang hard to move the stone by hand to the site. So having said that...3 guys can load a ton of stone in a weelbarrow and move it short distances up or down small/steep hills in about .5 to .75 hours. In thinking about your situation though with 90 some tons ...can you rent a tracked piece of equipment ...maybe even a backhoe? That's a lot to move by hand...good luck

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Did we pass?:p

10. NateinAtl

from Atlanta

The cost of the material plus the delivery charge is $1200.

Just under half can be pushed with a skid steer. The rest will be taken from piles and spread around the entire house at a distance of 3 to 4 feet off the house, in an herb garden right next to the rock pile, and a 1000 sq. foot island about 100 feet away from the closest pile.

What do you think?