1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3/4 ton or 1 ton?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lohse's Lawn Service, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Right now, I'm pulling my enclosed trailer with most all my equipment and it weights approximately 10,000 lbs. I'm pulling it with a '92 Chevy 1/2 ton. I'm looking to expand to a bigger vehicle very soon, but before I go out and spend money on a used vehicle, I want to make sure I get the right one. For pulling 10,000 lbs. in town for the most part, would it be a better choice to buy the 3/4 ton or the 1 ton? Thanks in advance to any advice you guys give out.
  2. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 1 Ton. Some guys don't need one and a 3/4T does 'em just fine, but if I had your trailer loaded with some of your equipment I def want a 1 T.
  3. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

From a safety/ performance perspective, you have no choice but to get a 1 ton truck.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Um, NO. He doesn't HAVE to have a one ton.

Example - my F-250 is rated to be able to tow 12,100#. This is with the smallest engine, the 300 HP 5.4.

The brake size is identical on the F250/F350. Most would agree that stopping power is more important than "go" power, so 3/4 vs. 1-ton is a wash when it comes to a safety standpoint.

The 250/350 are going to have similar gross hauling capacity, with the 350 having slightly more. The engine choice is just as much of a factor for towing. Of course, the diesel can pull much more weight. But even it has the same size brakes.

Main difference between the two is the springs for more weight capacity, and that's about it.
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

i would recommend a 1 ton dually. Problem with 3/4 ton trucks is the single rear tire. How in the world do you have 10,000# of trailer and equipment behind you anyways.

I have a 36ft haulmark elite II race trailer. Curb weight unloaded is 5,900#
    that would mean I would have to put 4 scag tiger cubs in it to get to 10,000#.

a 24 foot trailer with 2 ZTRs, a parking lot blower, 2 backpacks, 2 trimmers, edgers and hedgers and tools to work on everything would probably only weigh 7,200 lbs. That 1/2 ton truck would have long ago bent the frame trying to pull 10,000 lbs.
  6. KTO Enterprises

Diesel trucks have bigger brakes. A dually f350 has bigger brakes that a single rear wheel f350. Thats why the front rim on a dually sticks out like it does is because the brake rotor is huge. I can stop my fully loaded race hauler without trailer brakes. (found out by accident. trailer plug came out.)
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't register it over 10,000lbs. That way you don't have to stop at the chicken coops along the highway!:waving:
  8. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

My trailer weight (empty) is 4,050 lbs. A 60" Exmark weighs app. 1140 lbs., and I have 2 of those on my trailer. That's already about 6330 lbs., and that's not including my 2 Toro 32" walk-behinds, 21" Toro w/b (that's baby weight) and 3 weed-trimmers, 2 blowers, hedge-trimmer, chains, rakes, tools, spare tire, etc.

Surely, that weighs over your approximated 7,200 lbs. and probably more towards my 10,000 lbs. Don't you think so? Regardless, I know I need a heavy-duty truck, that's the point of this thread.
  9. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

IMO, get a one ton to pull that kind of weight preferrbly a diesel too.
    as KTO and I can attest too w/ our racing trl's... bigger is better, so the wife says.
  10. KTO Enterprises

regardless I would go with a dually. I still cant count more than 7800 lbs. A mid to late ninetys ford F350 will run around $10,000 for a Diesel dually in good condition. Will get years of use out these trucks. I just bought a 1997 F350 with the 7.3 diesel back in january. had 133,000 on the odometer and I paid 9,500 for it. very clean truck.

I have a 1996 F350 with the gas 460 that I have had since 2003. Has been all over the south east pulling heavy loads. It has 235,000 and counting, starts daily and works like an old mule. It stays hooked to the landscape trailer now a,d does the dirty work. My newer truck pulls the tractor and race car trailer now.