3/4 ton trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sparcolawn, Jan 25, 2006.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

i've been doing some pricing lately on some 3/4 tons and have found that ford seems to be the best deal, i've always been a chevy guy myself, any opinions on these 3/4 tons?

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

are you looking new or used? around here i've found chevy to be less expensive than fords not by much but still less and dodge isnt even in the same sport 5-6k more

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Be cautious of the best "deal". I know the fords with their powerstrokes have had several problems with them, they are also one complicated engine to work on. If this is a non diesel 3/4 ton then disregard the previous comment, but if you are pricing diesels, chevy or dodge.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly I think that GM & Ford have the best thing going when it comes to 3/4 and up trucks. They have the "look" the features and the power.

However when it comes to Diesel (Cummins) & 1/2 ton trucks I would NOT count Dodge out. It seems they all have there strong and weak points.

You just have to find what you like the most. I personally love the Gm's the GMC's in particular.

5. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I'm defenitly looking new, i've dealt with the buying used and am sick of dealing with the problems. nothing against those who like buying new. and i've debated buying a diesel but cant afford that yet so gas it is for now. theres no difference between gmc and chevy right?

6. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

My opinion is that for new trucks Dodge seems to be the best all around- gas or diesel. But you probably cant go wrong with any 3 of the makes- Ford makes a mean work truck and Chevy's duramax and allison seem like the the best drivetrain combo . I hear there's new Chevy's coming out for 2007, maybe wait till then?

Or just find a solid 73-87 Chevy and put the money left over into your business.

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're worried about the PSD, then opt for the V-10, it gets better mileage than its counterparts (GM 8.1 and Dodge 5.7 Hemi) and easily outmuscles them. Spark plug blowouts were eliminated in '01, that is no longer an issue.

8. Jpocket

No Ford v-10 is gonna out muscle a GM 8.1L 496 Big Block im sorry gotta disagree. sure the small block Hemi but not the CHEVY.

9. Jpocket

Or just find a solid 73-87 Chevy and put the money left over into your business.[/QUOTE]

You can never go wrong here if you know how to work on them!

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, but the Ford does already. Ford 6.8 V-10 362hp vs. Chubby's 8.1's 330hp, no contest. Ford 457ft. lb. tq. Chubby 450lb. ft.

The Chubby may have the displacement advantage off the line, but the Ford will easily overtake and run away from the Chubby on the strip.